Building a leaf box

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Barrett Landscaping, Sep 16, 2010.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My leaf rig should be ready Tuesday....pics coming

2. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

Much more efficient to have a trailer full of equipment. We constantly take off the trailer while on jobs to make moving arounf and sucking up leaves that much easier. If we don't need to remove the trailer then we won't but it takes about 45 secs to take off the trailer when needed.

You got to have both IMO

3. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Working solo, unfortunately, I take my mowers and blowers to the job, do the cleanup, make my piles then go fetch my leaf trailer, which is self contained with my Lesco loader mounted up front. It's the only way to do it with one truck. That's only if I have to haul away the leaves...on about half my jobs I can blow the leaves to the customer's woods.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

this year the loader will be mounted to the front of the truck so i can pull my trailer as well

5. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not use the back of the truck instrad of a seperate trailer?

6. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

this year running three trucks. 2 will be doing the clean ups and the new f450 has the box and vacuum will be going a round and pick up leaves at curb side at the sites of clean ups so the guys finish the job and go to the next one. the box truck can also going a round and do the curb side pick up that the people do the clean up them self i pick up the leaves for them

7. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Because I bought my dump trailer and built my leaf box on it before I had a dump insert in the truck. My leaf trailer holds enough leaves to do several big cleanups before I need to empty it. I know there are better ways but this is how I do it now and I can't see changing everything around just yet...perhaps when I semi-retire next year I will downsize to just the truck and modify my loader to work from a front mount hitch....then I can pull my mower/blower trailer as well. Or then again, maybe I will just quit doing leaf cleanups and sell all the related equipment. :usflag:

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I pull a dump trailer that holds about 16 cu/yds, I currently have my loader bolted to the bed of my truck. That only leaves me room to put 2 blowers in the bed with the loader, so I got a greentouch backpack blower rack and mounted it to the wood side extensions on my dump trailer. It is lockable, it works for me. I want a swing away mount to put the loader on the back of the dump trailer but thats $1000 that I dont have to blow on that right now. I tried to upload photo of what Im talking about but lawnsite says I uploaded it already in another thread. Guess I cant post it twice?

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

so paint and signage are coming.......but this give you the idea.....it is about 14 cy........350% larger than last years box......

09222010109[1].jpg

10. Green surfer 1

Green surfer 1 LawnSite Member

We were working on a picup truck f350 w/ dump insert and making a leaf box for it. With swing mount leaf vac,on the front utillizing our snow plow reciever ,making a transport plate to carry a wheeled leaf blower. The plate will be removeable with pins. and marked on the corners with snow plow floresent markers. this will not be our primary truck as we have other bigger dump trucks. this truck can go with either 1-2 workers and can tackle small to medium homes and com. properties. The pickup is easy to get into tight areas. Backpac blowers ,rakes are mounted to sides of box, hope this could be of some help.