building a new lawn...over my head

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TIMELESS, May 6, 2008.

1. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

never built a lawn....new home owner wants me to reseed a lawn that never came up...not sure what i should be doing or charging....gonna grade, loosen and pulerize, fertilize...mill the top 1/2 in of soil then reseed...any help would be GREATLY appreciated

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

First, I would ask why didn't the seed come up the first time. Was it because they tried to seed in the spring last year? No watering? Poor soil (soil test)?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Get payment as you go. If they don't water they may not get results and you may not get paid. Read their water meter (or bill) before and each week after, if they don't put down $200 in water--no guaraantee--all bets are off. Get two cheap moisture meters at a garden store or dept. One for you--one for them. If the meter ever reads less than "adequate" in all parts of the lawn--guarantee is lost.

4. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

how much should i charge to reseed a 25000sqft lawn?

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

what are your cost, how much topsoil, do you need a harley rake or can you do it by hand? are you going to hydo seed it, seed and hay or sod ?

6. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

im open to suggestions but had a rough plan to prep the area by removing rocks, rake and thatch, loosen and pulverize....adding a fertilizer and rerake then add the seed (bluegrass, fescue and perenial rye mix) and lay hay...again, this will be my first lawn so any suggestions would be fantastic! thanks again

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

This may be more than you can do at this point in your career but rent a rock hound, for that much area you will need it. It attachs to the front of a bob cat and will do that much area, and leave it nice and fluffy, in a morning easy. You can seed and lay STRAW not hay, hay has lots of seeds, STRAW does not and be gone by soon after lunch.

Find out how much to rent or sub out the rock hound is and price according to material and labor costs

8. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

dont know how i make such stupid mistakes but the lawn is only about 7000sqft. still like the sound of the harley rake/rockhound idea...do i need to lay fertilizer between the prep and seeding? anything else i might have overlooked? you guys have been great, thanks!

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Don't put straw or any other cover on top the seed/soil. I've never had any luck with a cover.

10. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i agree with you about the straw also, thats what i meant to say before. i use straw for all my seeding jobs. just a suggestion, try to get the straw with tack if it is available in your area, that is all i use. the tack is something they coat the straw with, so when it gets wet it sticks, and will not blow away, but it will also not affect the grass at all. the bags i buy cost about $13.00 and will cover 500 square feet.