1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

building a new lawn over my head

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TIMELESS, May 6, 2008.

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

never built a lawn....new home owner wants me to reseed a lawn that never came up...not sure what i should be doing or charging....gonna grade, loosen and pulerize, fertilize...mill the top 1/2 in of soil then reseed...any help would be GREATLY appreciated
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Heavy machinery make a mess of things so if you need to use a cat or something. Go over with a tiller to loosen and level with an iron rake. Once levelled, put down the seed and cover with a wire rake. Or slit seed unless you are making ruts in the soft soil.

The idiots that run around with cats compacting the soil and putting down ruts with their next step are NOT qualified professionals. Creating an environment for lawns is what professionals are suppose to understand and do.

I am dealing with a lawn like that right now and it irritates me every time I think about. So forgive me if I sound a little short. :)
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

or you could try sod...

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

how much should i charge to reseed a 25000sqft lawn?
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

So you are going to use a tiller on a 25,000 sq ft lawn? I think I would prefer my cat... proffesionals know how to make the equipment work to do the job correctly.
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The best tool for job is a tractor tiller.

I understand that if it is a large area, large machinery is required.

If your Cat can provide the proper soil profile for grass roots - without ruts - Then I am with you all the way.

25 k - 1 man - 1 tiller = 1 day.
    seeding and raking by 1 man 4 2 days = completion 4 daze max.

1 week for 1 man = what? Add your profit per employee and you have, your estimate.
    Its only about a half of an acre, but be glad there is a dozer to level the area first.
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think the harley rake would be the best tool... with a tiller you will have to go back over it w/a pulverizer or box blade.
  8. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Yep harley rake would work well. We use it on a CTL, leaves a nice seedbed. Hopefully they gave you some topsoil to work with. It's definitely much easier doing it right the first time. I wish all these builders would figure that out. I don't know how many of these we do that just never came in good, and they're so bad that it is easier to start over than to try to fix all the issues. Half of them have what seems like breaker run coming through all over the place.
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny thought...

When I read the thread title, I thought it was going to be about one of these lawns or gardens on a roof.

You've heard of those I suppose.