1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

building a new trailer gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acresofgreen, Aug 15, 2014.

1. acresofgreen

acresofgreen LawnSite Member

Well over the years my trailer gate has been bent and it's time to build a new one. I'm going to do a welded frame with angle but not sure about the floor for the ramp. I thought about the typical mesh but I wanted to know if anyone's used any other options like aluminum, diamond plate, wood etc.. If so which one would be better?
  2. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Just do the regular expanded metal. It's light weight and the air cuts right through it. Having a solid gate will make your trailer fishtail like a b!tch
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

not hurling
  4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Post pictures in the process please! I'll be adding a side gate and re-enforcing this winter!
  5. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

I built a couple of fold in half ramps for my truck. That way I can fold down just one, if all I want off the truck is a walk behind. When I want the tractor down, I use both.

I used Safety Tread planks and welded them to 2''x2'' square tubing.

Click on the picture if you want. There are other pictures of how I built them.

7. acresofgreen

acresofgreen LawnSite Member

Where do you find the safety tread planks? Those are awesome!
  8. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

I would do mesh on gate always, next trailer I'm getting will be wood floors though "on trailer not gate"

My gates jacked up and bent now from girl hitting me thurs morning, still works as should though
  9. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

I ordered it from a steel supplier near where I live.

It goes by different names like Diamond Grip or Grip Strut. Some suppliers call them planks others call them channels.

Google "Diamond Grip Grating" and you'll get an eye full of what you want.
  10. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

It's very spendy to do that. I am totally jealous of that ramp there. Could drive a small dozer up it. Looks as tough as I'm sure it is.