Building a New Trailer Ramp

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Classified, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

So my trailer has the wrong doors (Barn Doors) so I needed a ramp. I had a temp ramp that I used for 2 years until I had the time to make a new one that was wide enough for for my 52" and also for a 61" mower in the near future.

Its not done yet obviously, but will be very close tomorrow. I just need to figure out my hinge. I know my options, but dont know which style I want yet.

Here are the pics thus far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

thats cool. There are a few enclosed's down here like that, mainly they add the mesh ramp cuz the old one died from years of hard commercial use.

3. Classified

Thats what I am using is the steel mesh. I am picking that up tomorrow.

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks Good!!!

5. bluesprucelawncare

bluesprucelawncare LawnSite Member

i would put more supports i know its heaver but it will save your mesh

6. Classified

We will see how thick the mesh will be. But right now that ramp weighs about 125 pounds. Im half tempted to make it hydralic open/close, LOL.

7. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good, clean that trailer lol. Hydro would be awesome if you could make it work.

8. Classified

thats on the list after the ramp. The inside wasnt cleaned out all last season and the outside wasnt cleaned the 2.5 years I have owned it. Nice to have a shop that I can do that in now!

9. Classified

Here is some progress pics. I just used some scraps of expanded metal grating from a metal shop and I didnt get enough :hammerhead: so I have to get a little peice to finish it. Then I also ran out of welding wire..........twice :cry: So I decided to call it quits earlier and finish it up tomorrow. This thing is strong as hell and possibly a bit too heavy, Ill have to wait and see once its on the trailer and hinged up to know for sure. I couldnt help myself but to run a mower up on the ramp anyway and the thing doesnt even creak or flex or bow. It will definately work! Just might be on the heay side.

Here is some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Classified

I made some good progress yesterday. Im at about 85% done. Only problem is the large height difference between the trailer and the ramp. I cant go higher because the cam has to lock in below the door. Im not sure what Im goign to do now. The mowers should be fine but stuff like the aerator and bedshaper are a different story. I also need to figure out a lift mechanism. That ramp is heavy! I think I am goign to use a little ATV winch, should work perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hinge

[​IMG]