1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Building a shop...HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I just did the closing on a house last week and im stoked...now I have 4 acres and a place to call my own. Im putting a 30X50 shop in the backyard on a 4" concrete slab. Is there anything I should take into consideration with the inside. The contractor that is pouring the slab & erecting the building is doing just that. I have to have the electric & sewer done by another contractor. I have so many things going on right now that my mind is blank. Does anyone have any photos of a inside layout? I was thinking of how I can make an office inside a metal fab building? As far as when the building contracor is done I will be left with a big empty space and no inside walls. Also do I dare try to keep this thing heated & air conditioned? As far as what I ' think ' I will be putting in there is a mitsubishi box truck, tractor & all of my equipment. My trailers and pickup trucks and such im leaving outside. My main goals is finding a way to make a nice area for repairing equipment & closed off office space. Anyone have a security system hooked up to their shop? Its going to be located 120 feet off the back right corner of my house. The gravel driveway is going to be running down alongside my current driveway but the entrance is hidden by heavy brush and trees. Its out in the country but there is a bunch of low lifes living around the area which makes me nervous...Should I install security system?
  2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I've never built one, but just something to look into: There are now heaters out there that run on waste oil. There's been a couple threads on this. I think J THomas Distributors has one too. But, it heats using Used motor oil. Might work if you do lots of oil changes. Also, you could go to your local oil recycling place and take some off their hands....they pay for disposal, so if you took a bunch of oil off their hands, oyu have free heat, and they save some $$.
  3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

master care has the right ideir for heating for ac i would just get a window unit for the office and big box fans for work space. guard dogs for security
    i would also have a nice lift installed and have the place plumb out for high pressure air lines with compresser you might want to make the slab thicker mabe 6 inches more durible thats if its not to late
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, 6" floor, reinforced, with a strip drain. Stub in some pipe for future water/sewer.
  5. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

were getting ready to build our second shop a 40x60 with 14 ft walls 8in slab with drains and in floor heat heated by outside wood boiler .doors will be 12ft roll ups well have a loft in the back half 15ft x 40ft for office and along the side will be putting in racks like home depo has for storeage. will also have hoist in the shop to were getting it all done for 25000. oh ya theres a bathroom with showers going in.
  6. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

Congrats! It is so nice having that open space, so I dont loose it. Build your office section in a "loft" style. Suspend yourself in the air, and keep your floor space. Good luck with everything.
  7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

12 foot garage doors! a must
  8. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Minimun 100 amp electrical, and a couple of 220 volt outlets for the welder.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What type of construction? Wood or block? Check with your ordinances on fire sprinklers and insurance on hazerdous materials as they may frown on large amounts of oil,gasoline, diesel, solvents. Flammable liquid cabinets. Wouldn't try to heat/cool the whole area all the time. Would be pretty expensive. If your office will be out there are you going to run cable out there for internet and phone lines for fax, and such? I'd suggest hose reels suspended from ceiling nice to have stuff up an doff the floor. Good metal work bench. Alarm would be a good idea may get you an insurance break too. Depending on how smart the low lifes are may want to stay away from automatic garage door opener beacuse it can be a vulnerability. If you don't have a dog maybe go to pound and get one for the shop. When I was a mechanic the owner had skylights in ours so even with the power shut off you could still see a little. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope it helps.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Or put the office in a corner, and allow for overhead storage over the office. Use it for file storage , dry storage, or a relaxation area after the day is over...nice mini fridge and a comfy couch.Why hurry in the house? Also, a shower area would be nice by the office, and incorporate a locker area if you have multiple employees. Look into shelving units from your local HD or Lowe's..sometimes you can pick up store shelving really, really cheap. Most of those shelves are rated for excess of 5000 lbs each 8' section. Use it to store your palletized goods and such up off the floor, while still allowing access below. An electric hoist on an I beam overhead will allow for lifting heavy machinery for service, changing engines, etc..And as others have said, don't forget the overhead / central compressor lines and water lines from the side / back of the shop. Try and plan out the shop as you would a landscape install; thorough, well laid out, and efficient. Congrats on the new place, man!