Building a Spray rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shady Brook, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I know this has been discussed before, but was hopeing for some opinions.

My main concern is pump size, pressure and volume in relation to different types of applictions. I would like a rig that would be able to apply all types of chemicals, with weed control and fertilizer being most often used. I hope to build it for my Tiger cub, with I am thinking 5 nozzels.

I was thinking of the XR T-jets as an all around nozzel. What is the minimum pump size I should get. Would it make sense to buy a spray rig from Tractor supply and change out some essential parts, or am I better off starting from Ground Zero. I don't have a great number of properties, but want something that will handle a lot of customers for the future.

Any thoughts, ideas on parts, options that I should consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

2. Hows this for an idea?

my dc spray rig.jpg

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just finished bulding a spray rig for my ZTR that looks almost like LGF's. Ill post some pics of it tomorrow.

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

LG

It looks awsome to me, but I can not tell much about the components from the picture. Can you offer any guidence concerning some of the questions I had?

NCSU, thanks I will look forward to them.

Jay

5. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I have several sprayers, I built 2 and bought 2 factory complete and made modifications. I think a 3 gpm 12 volt pump would work quite nicely for what you want to do. Figure out how much water you want to put on and how fast you plan to drive and size the pump and spray tips accordingly. In large open areas I apply about 15 gallon of water per acre. In small lawns about 22 will work fine. (approx. .5 gallon per 1000 sq. ft.) In lawns don't count on much over 3 to 3.5 mph. Get a pump with a demand switch built in. That way if you shut the pump stream off the pump will buld pressure and shut off. Keep the pressure down to avoid drift. I use 30psi on my shielded sprayer and 20 or so on the open boom type. I couldn't find a sprayer to buy with the features I wanted. Buying one from TSC and making modifications will save some work.

6. I am running a 5gpm pump with by bass agitation, it's always agitating even when spraying.

Also have no drip spray tips, they won't open till they hit 8 psi, I am spraying at 30 psi.

Tips go with the teejet turfjets floodjets. XR produce lots of mist.

Also have valves for each section of the boo, to shut off.

Starting from ground zero is the best bet.

I will email you a place to get all of what you need.

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

:D Yeah, now were cooking! That is some great info guys, I appreciate it. I look forward to your e-mail as well LG, thank you.

Any thoughts on filters, or any other design considerations would be great.

Thanks a bunch
    Jay

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Built this to spray around a couple hundred trees over a 5 acre area. 1.8gpm Surflow pump @ 60psi.

sprayer_0192.jpg

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

side view.............

sprayer_0190.jpg

10. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a pic of mine:

torospray2.jpg