building a striper

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KB Klippers, May 29, 2006.

1. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I am building a striper for my 06 Kub ZG23. I was wondering what you guys think works better...rollers or chains.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It depends what you mean, I have both, one mower has chains, the other has rollers.

Both have their advantages and drawbacks... With the chains, I leave them on full-time because they are underneath the transmission and they never get in the way or get caught. With the rollers, I have to take them off and put them on depending on the yard because they do catch on some obstacles and the rollers being on an axle, they do not adjust themselves to the contours of the land but so much... However, when the rollers are at work, the stripes turn out better (darker and lighter). Oh, and at least for me, the chain was cheaper but free it was not.

Overall, I prefer chains but the rollers stand out more, you can really see them and it does not go clinkety clink lol

3. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen a striper made with chains, got any pictures of one?

I ran across some mine belt two days ago that I'm gonna attach to the back of the deck on my Toro Z449. I read a thread on tractorbynet.com about a guy who had doone that on his finish mower and had before and after pics and it looked great.

4. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

Go here to this posting for the striping kit, im going to try and make one for my z when i get it..

5. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

im going to also make a striping kit out of chains. my striper that i have now works ok but not what i want.

7. zim bob the landscaper

8. zim bob the landscaper

9. zim bob the landscaper

heres some recent pics.

lawns013.jpg

10. zim bob the landscaper

another.......

lawns015.jpg