BUilding a wall on top of a small existing foundation?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by syzer, Sep 6, 2008.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We have to replace 4 small retaining walls that are currently brick. They go down about 8-10" into the soil where they meet a cinderblock foundation 36" deep (below frost).

Would it be ok to just put the new retaining walls on top of this existing foundation? The current walls are about 30-40 years old and are being replaced because they are leaning forward, but there is no settlement int he wall at all.

Thanks.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've done this once, it was at a buddies house, he had an old RR tie wall built on top of a footing, we took it down, cut a grove in the footing as we were using grinnell garbage block and they have a lip on the back and up we went, worked really well........that said it was a tie wall and it was only set on top of the footing, there was nothing really tying it together other than a couple pieces of rebar. In a block and mortar application I'd think it would all be tied in together better and therefore be more likely that the footing is leaning too. If I were in your shoes, I'd excavate along the back of the footing, thi will give you a chance to inspect it all and you'd be doing it anyway to address drainage, since you can't lay pipe on soil anyway' I mean you'll dig alot deeper that if you were just addressing drainage but compact it well and call it a day. I'd hate to build a wall on existing footing and get up a couple feet to find it's leaning.

3. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

rip the footing out. charge extra for it. you cant build on top of a concrete footing. i highly doubt that it would be perfectly level and you need a good base of gravel that acts as a drain or do like what forestfireguy said dig behind it if you dont wanna rip it out and haul off.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have built on concrete and concrete blocks before, of course added gravel and built on it then.
    Mike

5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, I was going to excavate around the block to check it out, then do the regular stone fill since the blocks would need to be filled anyway. Then I could level that out. I will need to tear it up and inspect.