Building a waterfall off existing boulders

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Mar 27, 2010.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

How has everyone tackled having a waterfall runoff an existing boulder 5 feet above a pond without putting a liner down the face of the boulder?

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you got a photo of this? My first reaction is that it can't be done without causing major erosion problems.

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Tadpole,
    I would have loaded a picture but I'm having problems with my camera. Just imagine a selfrock with vertical drop of 5 feet. I ran my liner to the edge of the boulder and than cantilevered a huge piece of flagstone over the edge about 6"-7" and than set a boulder on each side and mortared the edges. Guess what! It leaked, so I put a 24" Atlantic fastfalls box on there and called it a day.

I figured I could redo God's work but I knew better and was shown my humbling expereience. lol!

4. tadpole

Post a Pic whenever you get the camera working.

5. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Here ya go Keith Henry Beachy( hrent) 001.jpg

Henry Beachy( hrent) 009.jpg

1st pic is the large rock we had to start with. We took out the pre-fab basin, and installed a pondless set up. To keep from leaking we took the cutoff saw and made a groove about 12in to 15in off the ground parallel to the ground that we pushed our liner end into. then caulked it heavily. To make the stream channel we grooved it with the saws about 15in wide by 6inches deep. Ran the liner in the channel, covered with mortar then placed in gravel. (to hide the liner) We sealed the stone and mortar with a sealer to help with saturation. The pipe we grooved another channel just wide enough and deep enough for it to fit in along the left side and covered with dirt and moss. rock placement needed to be exact to help contain the stream. Used foam to help direct and burned it alittle to color it and some paint, with moss. hope all this makes sense:)

Henry Beachy( hrent) 001.jpg

Henry Beachy( hrent) 009.jpg

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Bruce that looks really good. I wish I had a easier drop than this picture.

I had the Fall come off the rock to the right of the tree. The 2 smaller boulders on top of that rock is what I used to direct the stream off that large boulder. I'll post some pics of what it looks like tomorrow. Part of my problem was having to get the water to jet off that rock about 8" out to hit the lower pool 5-6 feet below.

100_0729.jpg

7. tadpole

That is interesting, Bruce. Even after 3 1/2 years(going by date on photo), it is not losing water? I find that hard to believe.

8. wurkn with amish

Didn't say it doesn't leak :) If I did it over I would use a termination bar instead of the groove and I would make the channel wider and deeper. The customer is great and dont mind filling it up a couple inches once a week.

9. wurkn with amish

man keith!
    thats a tough one post pics for sure.

10. tadpole

You are right!! A term bar would be a good solution to the problem. I wonder why I didn't think of that. DUH!