building an electric tank sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Nov 22, 2005.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i like to build a small electric tank sprayer using a 12 volt pump,chem lawn gun and 200' of hose..

any ideas?

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we do mosquito sprays with a 30 gal tank, 5 gpm shurflow electric pump, 300ft hose on an electric reel

works just fine, and its very quiet

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Really check you gallons per minute on your 12 volt pump, you are also going to need some sort of charging system for the extra battery.

4. ant

RUNNING IT OFF THE TRUCK..
    lawnservice :i would be interested in your system,did you make it?

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had one I built and used for a few years for weed control, it worked great. just ran it directly off truck battery and had no problem's at all. used the shure flow pump and seemed like they would run 4 ever ,but I would replace them every spring, I think they were only about $75 new. they make one and I dont remember the model # but it had auto shutoff at about 75psi, this was great for when a customer comes out to talk to you while your spraying. I only used it for weed control because it dosent have enough volume to recirculate for agitation. you will also want to use a low volume mix (1 gal per k) and a low volume nozzle

6. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

call Mark at westheffer in lawrence kansas.1-800-362-3110.I have 7 electric rigs that are incredibly low maintenance.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

any pics of the setups?

8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yes, we made several. no big deal really. of course ours are mounted on trucks, not sure what you want to do....truck mount? or maybe on an atv?

we use the 5 gpm pump though we only spray 0.5 gal per minute doing mosquito sprays.

hard wire the pump to the truck battery (note: we have a hidden kill switch...this is because one morning i arrived at the shop and some kid? turned on all the pumps....nothing spilled but it could have been very bad. with a secrete kill switch that wont happen again)

i believe we got every thing from Northerntool.com, tanks, pumps, reels and regulators

just sit down a draw a diagram of what you want....figure how many plumbing fittings you'll need. really. once you have all your parts it will only take 30-60 minutes to set it up

ok, going away for the rest of this looong weekend, i'll check back on monday to answer questions if you have any

have a good holiday

9. ant

thanks...
    electric is the way i am going to go..
    i just need info on selection of a pump..
    brand
    gpm...

ant

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you might want to call several places that build the units and ask questions on theirs, like you were going to buy one. i say this because, theirs is tested and works. keep in mind that you are going to spray @ about 35psi @ 1gpm thru 300' x 1/2" hose, the electric pump won't do very well over that 1gpm w/o smoking it. i used electric for 2 years and worked fine, went to gas so i could expand into trees. also w/ a gas sprayer you don't need to keep the truck running, on the electric i found that the battery (yes i had a battery seporate battery for the sprayer) would not keep up. i run a 8hp honda D30 pump and it runs 8.5hrs on 1.5gal gas (not to bad at all!!) i figure thats about $3-3.5 per day. the truck runs.. well 6mpg avg.