Building brick and step stone walkways

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by scooterdayton, Mar 10, 2007.

1. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wisconsin Rapids

Just wondering how to lay a wet? walkway out of brick or stone using mortar or cement?

im guessing one probley
    1. digs a few inches
    2. uses separation fabric then fills with sand or limestone or something
    3. compact
    4. then lays brick or stones
    5. finishing off cracks with some sort of a cement or mortar

if you would, let me know what you professionals do. the more advice the better. thanks guys!!!!!

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The process you described is a dry lay w/ mortared joints. This method is usually not a good idea unless you are in an area w/ no freeze/thaw. The rcommended process for a wetlay would be to have a concrete slab/walk poured and then mortar the bricks to it. Then grout as you described. You will get less cracking of the joints this way.

Chris

3. scooterdayton

oh ok got it, thanks, yea makes sense, would you let the cement cure then before laying the brick or stone?
    ha dont worry im not over my head and planning on doing this anytime soon, just wonndering how its done.
    but thanks a lot

4. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

the way CG talks about the wet lay is how it is done... once you pour that concrete pad or walk, let it set a day, then mortar your stone materials..

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

6. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I am a mason in Maryland and if you want to have a sidewalk with no cracks or setteling, Then u should do the following.....
    1st... excavate at least 10inches down from finish grade. this will allow for a 6" slab and 1" for mortar joint 3" for brick if its stone then u might only need to excavate 8 or 9" b/c they're not as thick as brick
    2nd...Form the sidewalk so that you will have at least 5 or six inchs of concrete, have wire or rebar in the slab it will help reduce cracks.
    3rd....Pour the concrete and put control joints were necessary.
    4th...After your concrete has set up like the next day you can start laying brick or stone and you must use type s mortar and you can even mix some portland in if you want it real strong.

Dont even try laying brick on a gravel base with no concrete slab it will never work everything will crack up especially since your in a freeze thaw enviroment. If you really want the project to look the best i would def hire a mason to do the brick work or stone work, you can pour the rough slab but brick work and stone work can be very difficult for someone with no masonry skills and background. Heres a brick sidewalk i jus finished up.

Picture 120.jpg

Picture 114.jpg

7. scooterdayton

oh wow, hey thanks a lot, that was just what i was looking for.
    you seriously covered everything. no questions here. i wondered how you guys do it.
    awesome work by the way, hopefully someday i can pull off something like that.
    thanks for all your time and experience. take care, Dayton

8. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

can a walkway be created this way using an existing sidewalk. I have a concrete walkway4'wide by 20'long. Can I lay brick over the top using this method?

9. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

it depends on how that walkway is.. what kind of shape is it in? has it sunken in spots? is it cracked? all depends on how the concrete is...if its in good shape then use it.. of its a mess, then you have to pour a new pad...

10. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

its brand new---1 year old