Building bulk materials bins

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Barrett Landscaping, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Im wanting to build bins for mulch, topsoil, and yard waste at my shop that has a large gravel lot. Anyone have pics of their setups and what works best? Also, what do most of you use for the base of the bin? cheap concrete or asphalt?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

JEALOUS. Most I see are mafia blocks but recently I saw some poured concrete one that looked sweet. Poured concrete floors too. Just pitch the floor out so the material drains and doesn't turn into a pond.

3. Barrett Landscaping

Im planning on using blocks for the wall but need a floor so i dont get gravel mixed in my material. Good point about pitching it.

4. joeniel

joeniel LawnSite Member

5. jlcrox2

jlcrox2 LawnSite Member

At a place I worked in the past we built them from railroad ties. Seems like when we priced it they were the most cost effective for us.

6. Barrett Landscaping

Maybe but if i ever wanted to move them it would be a PITA to remove and redo ties vs. mafia block

7. M&S_Lawncare

M&S_Lawncare LawnSite Member

We used bin blocks and put a heavy mat material down that allows water to filter thru.

I will post a pic when I can, been too busy trying to keep the bins full!!!

8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Here's a couple I built out of railroad ties and rough cut lumber, I have 1 for mulch, 1 for topsoil and we should be building our 3rd bin soon. I think I'm going to get the jersey barriors next however, I think I'm doing it the hard way with the railroad ties. I hope to have 9 bins by the end of the season.

DSCF0359.jpg

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the railroad tie bins. I want to build some at my new shop for sand and staging bulk sandbags.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Thanks Krazy good luck to ya!