1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

building business in the fall/winter

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MowCo, Jun 15, 2006.

1. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

I'm in TN and started a part time lawncare business this summer with flyers and referrals. I'll likely be going full time later this summer and will have to generate new business in the fall and winter. How would you recomend sustaining yourself in months when the grass isn't growing and you don't have a large customer base yet? Using flyers for leaf cleanup business? Could simple landscape lighting be used to generate income? I'm looking for ideas and am a little afraid that I won't be able to find enough jobs in the fall and winter to get me to next spring when I'm confident I can build the business with mowing clients.
  2. MowCo

MowCo LawnSite Member

What do ya'll do in the fall and winter to generate business?
  3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

You missed out on YP advertising. I think the deadline for the nashville book was the middle of May. Brentwood yp book ends in December. I wouldn't quit your day job just yet.
    Maybe advertise fall clean ups, gutter cleaning, lights, maybe aerating and seeding or something.
    I'm not full time just a few yards in my neighborhood and will probably undercut for a few more by the end of summer so I can have several by the beginning of next season.
  4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

The majority of my income through the winter, or what we here in FL consider winter, is pressure washing. Everyone needs it and for the most part, everyone wants it. If you sell it right, you'll be amazed.