Building Hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Feb 19, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Well I am thinking about finally buliding a hydroseeder. I have intended on it for two years now and never get it accomplished. Main reason I want to tackle it now, $$$$.
    See I am about to graduate from college in the fall. Have been in lawncare for 6 years to finance the college. Now I have a dilema (sp)!!! I currently gross ballpark 40K, Net 24K. And I will have a degree in Mechanical Engineering when I graduate. Starting pay here is around 40K. BUT! I love working for myself and enjoy the work that I do. So in order to keep it all going, my net is going to have to multiply.

I have investigate the hydroseeders in the past, and am thinking around 750 gal. I am very concerned that hydro will be a very tough service to sell. Just because most have never seen it in action, and have no knowlege of the benifits. So final question, SHOULD I TAKE THE RISK??? Or just pray, IF I BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.....

2. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

How can you build a hydroseeder without the knowledge or understanding of the industry? If you are interested in getting in the industry and doing research to later build a hydroseeder then I welcome you. You might have noticed, ( if you have been looking) the flood of so called hydroseeders. Most do not work very well, and the manufactuers that sell them do not understand the industry or care about it, they are only in it to sell the machine. You would need to check out whats out there.....you might find that the proven machines have been around for awhile. If you are interested in finding out about the industry check out Hydro Turf Planters Association http://www.htpa.org

[Edited by Sean Gassman on 02-19-2001 at 11:42 PM]

3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I would strongly recommend not building a seeder. I tried about five years ago. I could have done it but it would have costed more than I could just buy it. Also you will not have any technical support when things go wrong.

Also, any machine you build will be a jet agitated machine. Bad news when shooting seed for two reasons.
    1. You cannot use any wood mulch, you will have to use all paper or jet spray.

2. It will clog and jam even with paper. They are slow to load.

There are a couple of brand name machines that are better than others. A few guys use the Turbo Turf, they say that one does not clog up. I don't know, I have never used them.

I have always used Finn equipment. Good stuff, a little on the heavy side though. I recently went to a TurfMaker 425. It is a little smaller but still a mechanical agitator.

DO YOUR RESEARCH. If you don't you will make costly mistakes.