Building my First gate assist

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joallen001, Jun 15, 2004.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I am in the process of building my first gate assist. I am going to start out with just one spring. I have purchased a spring from Lowes. 2" sheaves from TSC and six feet of cable and some chain to adjust the tension. I plan to purchase something to inclose the spring. Other than this what all things am I missing. I assume that I only need one eyebolt to attach to the gate. What size bolts should I use to mount the spring to the frame of the trailer? I am also not sure exactly where the cable attaches to the spring because i can not see it in the pics because the spring is covered. I assume that it is attached the the end of the spring the same as the bolt. Thanks for any help on this. I want to do it the right way and the say way so any advice is appreciated. This forum has been a great help..
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Be real careful about this one. You could get hurt. I would use grade 8 hardware where ever I could.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I used a pieceof pvc Electrical conduit. Look at the ballard ad.

I used elec beam clamps and conduit hangers to attach to

trailer. Cost $ 50 + an hour to fit it.Ed
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and look in the fencing dept. I used a galvanized fencepost (about $6) to enclose my spring.
  5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

and will yeild satisfactory results providing you think the project out.

It is just plain STUPID to enclose the spring, which is ALWAYS in tesion, even at rest, in a plastic [PVC] enclosure.

If that spring breaks, it WILL cause damage with whatever it comes in contact with be it you, a bystander, or your truck!

Use METAL for this, like STEEL tubing.

6. captken

the spring to the top rail of my trailer using 3/4" STAINLESS bolt, washers, double nutting the underside, not in photo

This part always stays stationary.

Note spring fitting close inside tube, I applied grease to the spring prior to installation to reduce chaffing.

spring attachment.jpg
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Mine looks exactly like Captken's. Dont waste you time building will need two. I tried one and it wont work!!
  8. captken

Use a THIMBLE to make the wire loop.

Secure it with cable clamps, I use three.

Remember to install the cable clams CORRECTLY!

This photo is of where the 3/16" aircraft control cable

attaches to the chain segment [tension adjustment]

IT attaches to the business end of the spring the same way.

thimble, cable clamps.jpg
  9. captken

STAINLESS steel eyebolt, double nutted on the bottom as a sort of fairlead.

ALSO added for safeties sake, to help keep the spring contained in case of spring

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Gate Assists Rear & Side Gate....Ordered 1 Ballard EZ Gate & Copied it for All the Trailers....Needs Mods but a Very Simple Design!

Yes that's Snow!

side gate2.jpg