Building my side dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IMAGE, Apr 3, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Hey guys, I know this thread is worthless without pics:hammerhead:

BUT, I am pretty excited that today I finished all the fab work on adding a side dumping box to the front of my 20' PJ trailer.

The box is 83" wide, and 6' long. It works with a winch, kind of like Sweet Tators trailer, but I only lift from one side (so I can have a closed leaf box come fall).

Anyways, I do have pics, but I am not at home, so I can't upload them to my computer. I will post pics tomarrow night hopefully after we get the sides on.

Oh yeah, I love welders burn. NOT! All I had was a welding lense, no helmet, so I was holding the lense in one hand, and welding with the other, only arc'd my eyes about 10 times! and got a nice red tan:cry:

2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

dude go to norther tool and get a auto darkening helment for 50 bucks. i have one and wouldnt buy anything else. dosent take much to go blind.

3. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I got one of them to for like 40 bucks at harbor frieght and dang they are nice! Excited to see some pics Image! or the thing work in real life! haha. Your one up on me, i still do it the old fasion way, shovel and broom! haha. Take it easy,
    Josh

4. IMAGE

from midwest

Yeah I DO have an auto darkening helmet. But I was doing it a buddies house cause my shop is full. I have been welding for yrs, I am not to worried about it. Somehow God blessed be with 20/20, and terrible hearing. Or... maybe it was yrs of loud toys that took the hearing :)

Anyways, I got the wood sides put on this evening. I got some nice blue plastic sheeting to put over the plywood so it will be a bright blue trailer. I will get that on tomarrow night.

Man, today was my first day of hard labor for the 2008, spent the day setting up to pour a slab tomarrow, wow I got out of shape this winter!

5. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see some pictures! This sounds like what I have been wanting to do for a couple years, but just haven't had time. Show me what you got.

6. IMAGE

from midwest

I will get some pics up tomarrow. I just got home from a long week, and will have some snow to push in the morning. After I get done with that I will go snap some "finished" pics.

PS, it works great!

7. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad the snow is done this year!

8. IMAGE

from midwest

aw man, I was gonna get pics today and I forgot! I just worked on it for a little bit today, added another winch to the front of the dump box, so now it has one on each side and lifts straight. I am wiring them both to one remote, so they work in tandom.

They are both 1 ton winches, and they are both run to a snatch block and back to themself, so really I have 8000 lbs of dumping power:weightlifter:

9. IMAGE

from midwest

Well, here are the pics finally, what do ya think?

This is what I bought, a 20' PJ utility trailer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. IMAGE

from midwest

Here are some pics of during the build:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]