Building Paver Patio on Slope - PICS

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Oct 13, 2012.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We recently completed a landscape/hardscape/irrigation/lighting job on a sloped hillside back yard. Part of the project involved a paver patio. But there was about a 2' difference in elevation from the upper part of the paver patio to the lower part.

No problem. We've done plenty of those. We build an SRW at the lower part to raise up the grade to the proper level. Then build the paver patio over the edge of the SRW.

The challenge in this case was that a wall made of formed concrete SRW blocks would not have gone well with the natural / NW / rock feel of the rest of the landscape. So I decided we needed to build a veneer of rock to hide the SRW. Now, it looks as if the rock wall is what is holding up the patio. You can't even see any evidence of the SRW at all! I thought it was a pretty neat idea and turned out really well. So I thought I'd share it with you all. Maybe it's an idea that will come in handy one day for someone.

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

This may be a dumb question, but those pieces look rather wide for your veneer. How did you hold them in place? What kind of faster?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Love the use of a bubbler, but you know better than to leave the 7/9/3 step combo.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Looks really good!

5. JimLewis

The what???

6. JimLewis

The rock wall you see there is a basalt dry-stack rock wall. It's a common variety of wall built here in the NW. You can see some photos here. There is nothing holding them together other than the way they are stacked closely together and the weight of the rocks. But surprisingly, if they are built properly, they hold up really well. This is the single most popular kind of retaining wall used in the NW. Very common around here. But the rock wall that you see was just built right in front of the SRW block wall that you cannot see.

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I really like the dry-stack, when done right it just looks so cool and full of craftmanship, nice. Pulls the whole project together.

8. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice... Can't wait to see the comments the 'numbers' guys will have however.

9. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny. It's the first thing I noticed. Patio looks great but the steps would have to be changed. Maybe it's a future project.

10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice work, natural looking I like it alot. Whoever built the deck stairs needs a math class though.
    Posted via Mobile Device