Lawn Care Forum banner

Building Paver Patio on Slope - PICS

41K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  AztlanLC 
#1 ·
We recently completed a landscape/hardscape/irrigation/lighting job on a sloped hillside back yard. Part of the project involved a paver patio. But there was about a 2' difference in elevation from the upper part of the paver patio to the lower part.

No problem. We've done plenty of those. We build an SRW at the lower part to raise up the grade to the proper level. Then build the paver patio over the edge of the SRW.

The challenge in this case was that a wall made of formed concrete SRW blocks would not have gone well with the natural / NW / rock feel of the rest of the landscape. So I decided we needed to build a veneer of rock to hide the SRW. Now, it looks as if the rock wall is what is holding up the patio. You can't even see any evidence of the SRW at all! I thought it was a pretty neat idea and turned out really well. So I thought I'd share it with you all. Maybe it's an idea that will come in handy one day for someone.

Plant Road surface Tree Grass Landscape

Plant Tree Road surface Land lot Architecture

Plant Tree Botany Vegetation Architecture

Plant Property Wood Building Brickwork

See less See more
#6 ·
This may be a dumb question, but those pieces look rather wide for your veneer. How did you hold them in place? What kind of faster?
Posted via Mobile Device
The rock wall you see there is a basalt dry-stack rock wall. It's a common variety of wall built here in the NW. You can see some photos here. There is nothing holding them together other than the way they are stacked closely together and the weight of the rocks. But surprisingly, if they are built properly, they hold up really well. This is the single most popular kind of retaining wall used in the NW. Very common around here. But the rock wall that you see was just built right in front of the SRW block wall that you cannot see.

#12 ·
That's awesome Jim!
What pavers are those?:waving:

I love the stairs, I don't really prefer a long final drop to the ground much over 2 inches.

#15 ·
he could also paint the house, stain the deck,move the property to Hawaii, host a Tropicana swimsuit contest.......all of which would make the entire job look better......:laugh:

#16 ·
We can all sit here and pick the little things apart or comment on things that they had nothing to do with, but in the end only a few things matter.

1. Is the customer happy?
2. Did they get paid the contract amount?
3. When they walk away is there any additional liability.

Leaving the stairs is an issue of safety and building code. Even if they physically did not touch the stairs, a condition exists that Jim's company is directly responsible for. They constructed the patio and set the grade elevation. In doing so they constructed a landing that is part of the stair system. The chosen elevation likely had something to do with surrounding area and deck footings, etc. In doing so they caused the lowest stair rise to be well out of code, even though it appears that the other 2 already constructed risers are off as well. The solution is easy and would have cost less than $100. There is a concern and even if no one cares right now, when grandma trips it will come up and someone will be to blame.

These guys generally appear to do nice work. It is important though for everyone to look at the big picture when they do a job.

#17 ·
Shovelracer,

I asked a question clear back in post #5 that you have chosen to totally ignore. You're really quick to criticize. But when I ask what you mean by your 7/9/3 thing, you won't even explain to me what that is. All I've gotten so far is two criticisms from you but absolutely no offer to help explain what it is that is upsetting you so much and how it should be fixed. Unless you're going to take a little time to explain the criticism and what you mean by your 7/9/3 step combo then how the heck do I know what to fix?

#18 ·
Shovelracer,

I asked a question clear back in post #5 that you have chosen to totally ignore. You're really quick to criticize. But when I ask what you mean by your 7/9/3 thing, you won't even explain to me what that is. All I've gotten so far is two criticisms from you but absolutely no offer to help explain what it is that is upsetting you so much and how it should be fixed. Unless you're going to take a little time to explain the criticism and what you mean by your 7/9/3 step combo then how the heck do I know what to fix?
He's referring to how many inches each step is, first one is at 7" next one 9" then 3".

#21 ·
I like the story the empty space tells without having to say anything.
Obviously a representation of mans desire to be at peace with ones inner turmoil.

.............I wept a little when i gazed at it too long

#24 ·
It's funny the people who criticize the most have no pictures of their work to be soon.
You would not be talking about me would you. I have met my annual verification, feel free to search. As for the criticizing, the issue although small is size is a very big deal. This violates code and when the unemployed neighbor trips on those stairs and shatters a femur they will come after Jim, and when the judge determines the company was negligent for allowing the code violation to exist than they will be up the creek. You do not have to like it but this is the world we live in.

#25 ·
You would not be talking about me would you. I have met my annual verification, feel free to search. As for the criticizing, the issue although small is size is a very big deal. This violates code and when the unemployed neighbor trips on those stairs and shatters a femur they will come after Jim, and when the judge determines the company was negligent for allowing the code violation to exist than they will be up the creek. You do not have to like it but this is the world we live in.
Correct, Shovel DID subit his annual verification picture for 2012.

And correct about the unemployed suing. I have a buddy who has been unemployed for about 2 yrs. Low and behold he was rear ended. And guess what??!! He Sued!! I am fairly sure had he not been unemployed and facing foreclosure he would not have sued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.