Building Paver Patio on Slope - PICS

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I spoke with the inspector in my town, he told me the riser minimum and max, said they needed to be the same to each other, except the step going into the dwelling, it just needed so be within the min-max range. Sound correct to you guys?

2. jbailey52

DVS the contractor was in court??? Wouldn't the insurance company lawyer be there? Or maybe they were but he also had to be there?

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a pretty tough inspector. This is from the Fairfax County (VA) deck detail package that I use on most of my decks.

As for the step into the dwelling, that's pretty common to have a 4" step around here even if the other steps are greater.

FFX step detail.PNG

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The county I reside states in writing that they allow for so
    Many eights of an inch variance between riser heights. As there are instances where depending on the material it may be impossible to have every riser exact
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DVS Hardscaper

No. This was a case of poor workmanship, the owner rightfully refused to pay the contractor. It wasn't a personal injury suit, hence no insurance company involvement.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DVS Hardscaper

Some inspection offices say the step INTO the dwelling does not count as a step. Which is why thy can be a different measurent then all the steps below it.

Posted via Mobile Device

7. jbailey52

DVS I think in your past life you were a gray haired,cigar smoking pain in the ass building inspector

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Except for the "cigar smoking" part. Because that would imply he was cool. Cigars are wicked cool. Let's get that straight.

9. jbailey52

I agree. I smoke a lot of cigars, but one thing I won't do is let me customers see me smoking one.... Feel like that gives off the "eh, I'll let my guys figure out how to do that"

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

No. Of course not. I have a few customers who are also cigar aficionados who I will enjoy one with, if they invite me. But otherwise, I'd never let them see me smoke one or even go to their home after I smoked one. Because even the smell can turn some people off. And I can relate to that. Smoking on the job - and especially at someone else's property - is just unprofessional anyway.