Building Permit Company

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you that had a shop built. Did you hire a Commercial building permit obtainer? Someone who knew how to satisfy all of your city codes and get the project approved in a quick manner? I would like to talk to those of you who have had a shop built.

Thanks!

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol.. yea.. they are called a contractor......

3. Gene $immons

Yard pro,

I'm talking about a company which specializes in obtaining the building permit, and drawing the site and floor plans. Not affiliated with any construction company. Most of the contractors I've talked to want nothing to do with the permit process. They are ready to come in once I have the permit. Those who do everything charge highly for it.

Have you had a shop built?

4. YardPro

yes we have..
    we had the architect draw the plans.
    we went to town hall and submitted the plans, they gave us the ok.. and the builder did the rest...

5. Gene $immons

Glad it worked out quickly for you.

I would highly like to find a contractor to do a "turn key" job.

The metal building contractors that I have talked to don't provide everything, like the cement slab, or the overhead door installations..so lots of stuff gets subbed out. The builders who have architects on staff, and who do the complete job seem to be very expensive.

This is all a learning process for me.

How large is your town by the way?

6. YardPro

not very large...

hire a general contractor.. thier job is to coordinate all the aspects and oversee the subcontractors...
    and yes.. it is not cheap... but it is still cheaper than having a major screw that u have to have fixed....
    the GC will know all the building codes..

all you have to do is to submit a building plan to the local munucipalitty. the building installer will have blueprints you can use.
    next you will need a survey and show on the survey where the building is to go. on this survey there will need to have the location of the septic system ( if needed)

then on the building permit there will be places for the inspector to sign off each part of the job...
    foundation.. utility lines... framing... etc...

don't try to do this yourself.. hire a gc.. they will typically charge 20% of the cost of the building.

7. Gene $immons

Good info.

So, back to my original post. The first building company I talked to said, "go to city hall with your floor plan and site plan to get your building permit, then we will build it"

So I make a (what I think is nice) scale drawing of the site, I get the soil test for the septic, etc...I wait a month and a half for the city to do its review, and they came back with a huge laundry list of problems. Handicap access etc..

So, I need help getting the plan approved. I contacted a business who specializes in doing CAD plans and obtaining the permit quickly. This guy also had me go and meet with a metal building company. I got an estimate for the building, but not for its errection, cement etc. I think the building permit company is wanting to be the general contractor, no problem. I just want to get an idea of the total cost of the project beforehand. My budget is 100,000 for the cost of the land, a septic and well, a 2900 square foot building and all of the labor and permits involved.

Busy winter.

8. YardPro

that's a tight budget

the problems you listed are why you hire an architect. they know all the local codes and what is required and make the proper plans for them..

sounds like the guy you talked to is scamming u...

unless he is a liscensed contractor he cannot ast as a GC.
    a gc will know the costs of the building....

take the architect drawing to a GC asd they will tell you the total cost of the project... bid it out just as any other job.... they will figure out all the materials, etc.

also a gc will have reputable subs that work for him and give him a better price than u would get..
    u almost always get better quality subs with a good gc..

9. Gene $immons

Here is some rough estimates on the project, I'm still waiting on the cost of the labor for the building erection.

Land -------------------- $43,000
    Building Materials------- $17,000
    Cement--------------------$11,000
    Design & Building Permit--$3500.00
    Water well----------------$3500.00
    Septic Tank---------------$2000.00
    Electrician---------------$2500.00
    -----------
    $82,500

The building permit company sub contracts out the erection, cement and plumbing. He has an architect approve the designs that he submits to the city. He seems to be a straight shooter and has been in business for 15 years with many well known facilities under his belt.

Hopefully this will all work out. I'm doing a contract on the land on Friday.

More news and pics as it happens.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I hope you have better luck with the well water than I have. The last 3 I had drilled cost me $10 grand each for the drilling and system.