Building pillars out of coventry wall?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by WildLake, Mar 5, 2006.

1. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Ep henry says to chisel of a few inches to make the side of the block match the front in order to make 90 degree corners for pillars. This still doesn't look good enough when you do it. Is there a similar block that you can buy 90s for, or am I stuck chiseling. Thanks

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Country manor. Use the large and the small block turning them 90° and they make perfect 20"x20" columns.

If you don't like a chiseled face then after you lopp the end off use a meat tenderizer for block and beat the crap out of the borken end. It will actually blend as though is was cast like you need it.

3. WildLake

when you do the 20x20, do you do this or just leave it aloan

4. UNISCAPER

With Country Mano, all you do is set a large and small, then reverse one right next to what you laid. Then turn the next course 90°. There is nothing more to do unless occasionally you get a factory edge that shows, then use the meat beater on that small spot and your off. Glue every course and if you go over 3' you will need to pour a footing to the depth wher frost won't hurt you. Use a piece of #6 rebar or a post in the center so yo might have to notch cut the inside of the block.

5. WildLake

So on a single pillar, you must "tenderize" (Ha Ha) the side of one block on all four sides of each course.

6. UNISCAPER

If you want the split face to appear as though it was cast as such. Otherwise you will have the broken chisel face which won't necessarily match the factory facing.

7. WildLake

So its your opinion that the tenderizer is a better match than the chisel. I don't like the chisel. If you have a patio with a wall that has an entrance, the smooth face at either side of the entrance doesn't bother me at all but you know how it looks on a pillar. I hate that. I will try the tenderizer.

8. UNISCAPER

If there is too much haning over, chisel first, or even saw cut. Then use the tenderizer. The thing is if you saw cut you have a precise break where you need it and you can make the effect you want by using the tenderizer. It will take a little adjusting, but once you get the hang of it, you'll see what I'm talking about

9. WildLake

Thanks for the advice.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

use a block splitter ( guillotine).

gives a precise cut and leaves a split face.