Building ponds at home for advertising

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by JohnsonLawn, Feb 15, 2007.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys have built ponds at your own homes as a form of advertising. They say putting ponds in the ground is the best form of advertising and I thought this would be a great idea and I would get a pond out of it. Tell me what you think and give me your feedback on if this has worked well for you. Thanks guys
  2. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

well if you specialize in pond building, then i would say yes i would do that ... i know a few pond companies that did that .. but if you just do landscaping ... i guess it wouldnt hurt ... a lil expensive for advertisement purposes .... just my .002
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I built a pond at our home cause the "Boss" wanted one. I started to use it to advertise, but then people wanted to come over and look at it and for our lifestyle that is unacceptable. So, now I took that particular pond pictures out of my portfolio that I show clients and we don't have the foot traffic through our yard from, at best, strangers. If you want a pond at your home because you want one....then go for it and maybe invite your suppliers over to view your finished product so they can reccommend you, but otherwise I would advise against it........just my personal experience.
  4. greenbottle27

greenbottle27 LawnSite Member

RockSetnGrade - Glad you listen to the "Boss"! WHat I like to hear. And I agree. I'd go against it. We did a pergola and the people that do the slow drive by and self serve walk throughs. Just spells headache.
  5. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

I for one LOVELOVELOVE the one we did. I am semi-rural however, and have a gate. But so far I have left that gate open to the main road and haven't had any trouble with uninvited gawkers. It had been a dream of mine to have of the reasons I want to do them..and I would totally not let the world dictate my inner sanctum experience. I was lucky to place mine in an already established entrance that framed it beautifully. Can't wait for the spring to showcase it!
  6. JohnsonLawn

Ponds have not really caught on in my area yet. I don't know if it is because we live in a beach and seaside area or what. I figured it would draw attention and people could see what ponds are all about. I know I like to see before buying. It may only take a few people to get interested to get the ball rolling and then who knows. I guess I would like to know the best way to educate people about ponds and hopefully sell a few along the way
  7. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

Well, I am a rather late comer to this feature..and I can definately tell you what NOT to do. My competition usually went too bold...too big..and couldn't maintain them properly..What they had left was an ugly hole with black poly liner exposed everywhere..weeds encroaching and a horrific eyesore. What you do not want. Mine on the other hand when not on looks like a dry stream bed totally landscaped to perfection..if I may be so modest...teehee.:clapping:
  8. JohnsonLawn

Well , I have built a few ponds before and have taken many classes and I feel I can offer a quality pond. The people here are very fussy and particular. I feel that there is an untapped market here for ponds and waterfalls and I have advertised before and have even tried sending out marketing material to some of my existing clients trying to get things rolling. I would even be willing to install a pond or two at little profit just to get them in the ground and let them sell themselves. People here are very competitive, so once the neighbor has a pond they need one. This could be a good thing!
  9. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

Do you have a place you can set one up for yourself? I have to say..everyone who has seen mine wants one...My problem is that all the rocks were found and I have not had to go and bring them in..not even sure I could find these commercially. They are all colors, shapes..and took many field trips to gather over time. Is there a way to justify the cost of these excursions and time vs bringing them in on pallets if they can be found?
  10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Here one of the ways we get into the niche markets of new product like ponds(i have never built one but have one planned for my house) and built in grills customers like to hear that you have one and most of the time pictures of your own will be fine for them. hearing you have one makes your recomendation of products or styles credible.

On a side note anyone know how to build one of these things on the cheap? :D