1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Building raised patio around tree

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigslick7878, Jul 10, 2012.

1. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Any tips? Anyone ever done it before?

Just planned on making one step up, tree roots aren't any more than a few inches above current grade and that is only right around the tree. Around the edge roots are non existent. Trunk is only about 3 foot diameter, maybe 30 foot high fully grown.

The tree will be near center and the perimeter of the patio will be a good 10ft away in all directions.

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of tree? What type of building material?

I think it could put too much stress on the root zone and cause alot of tree problems.

If I had to build it, My preference would be a stilted wooden deck that mostly floats above the root zone and doesn't put weight on any lateral roots.

A paving stone patio would be a nightmare.

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thoughts were also of the survival of the tree. Wooden deck sounds workable, anything else...risky.

4. bigslick7878

Brick patio > Wooden Deck.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

never place any material (soil, gravel, sand, etc) above the crown of a tree.

6. bigslick7878

And technically speaking how high or at what point on the tree would that be? We are only talking 8 inches height here, and I would leave a nice (say 2-3ft outside of trunk all the way around) area cut out around the base of the tree to let air and moisture get to it. Just put some mulch or a groundcover in that area.

7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

The drip zone.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Crowns vary no straight answer possible.

If you are not familiar with a tree's crown - then this may be a job you should pass on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a firepit around the tree, this keeps the grade level but keeps the tree from being touched. It only works up to about 2'

http://www.pavestone.com/rumblestone/

just build it around the tree and back fill the area on the opposite side. I use a much cheaper version than this design too

10. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member