1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Building raised patio around tree

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigslick7878, Jul 10, 2012.

1. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

2. Birchwood

Birchwood LawnSite Member

My thoughts exactly, go back to cutting grass.

3. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't cut grass you moron.

If anyone has anything else to add that they didn't just google, feel free to do so. I can do that too, thought maybe someone had some actual experience. Obviously I was wrong.

By the way, since you all love to google try this...

http://www.google.com/search?q=pati...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Look at the images and get back to me.

4. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

5. Birchwood

I wouldn't rely on better homes and gardens for construction advice, Roger Cook said not to do it and suggested doing a deck, and the third site said a deck is the best option also.

first, you need to excavate for the patio so you will hit roots.
    second, compacting gravel with in the root zone will be detrimental to the tree.
    third unless you are using a permeable paver you will take away all water and nutrients that tree was ever going to get.

You possible could get away with encroaching 10-15% of the root zone and not hurting the tree.

Feel free to post pictures of the finished product, I believe there is a forum all ready started.

6. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, All wooden decks or planting beds. This is one of the photos from your second link )last row of page 1). You might want to read what it says.
    http://triblocal.com/round-lake/files/cache/2012/02/Tree-and-patio-cropped1.jpg/460_345_resize.jpg You will find the text for the photo on your original link. Something about even pavers will impact a tree.

7. Birchwood

8. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend that you read your own search results more thoroughly. The article you linked to lists 2 references from the University of Minnesota. I would suggest that you read the first of these 2 links. Basically states the same facts as the link that I posted.