Building seawalls without drawndowns?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Jul 18, 2004.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody have any experience with it?

We have a fairly large development around a local lake, the total number of houses is around 900-1000. Of those, probably 1/4 to 1/3 of them are considered "lakefront" property.

While we haven't exactly been inundated by calls wanting seawalls, it's something we may be interested in doing there. There is a lot of work to be had in that development, and we've only begun to tap into it.

The problem is that there is no "fall drawdown" on the lake. So any seawall would have to be built with the lake level at normal hieght.

Can anyone elighten me about the process?

Dan

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, steel sheeting is driven into the river or lake bank. Then, tiebacks are dug back into the bank to keep the seawall from falling into the river or lake. This may look easy, but it is specialized work that requires special equipment, plus years of experience to learn to do it correctly. Also, if the waterway is a navigable waterway, Army Corps of Engineers permits are required. Some States also require EPA permits, as well as local permits.

3. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

all the sea walls ive seen built arround here (and ive seen many living by the ocean and living through hurricanes) they do as described above, take pieces of courigated steel about 30 to 40 foot long, and drive them into the ground using a crane with a pneumatic driver. these courigations lock together then they tie them back with steel ibeams and more anchors 20 feet back. and backfill with sand.

ive also seen them build them out of pilings and rough cut 3x12 boards.

its not a "landscaping" type thing arround here, alot of heavy machinery is required.

4. D Felix

So is there no easy way to do it with normal retaining wall block??

Dan

5. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

arround a retention pond maybe, not for a ocean or river like we have here (james, york, warwick)

im trying to think of what the effect of a retaining wall block constantly submurged would be, it dosnt seem that it would hold well but that may just be me.

6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Versa Lok has tech spec on doing a sea-type-wall. visit there web site.

Peace,

Rex

phoenixpavers.com

millruins.gif

7. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

thats interesting. so how would you go about installing a wall like this in water?

like i said ive only seen them installed at the beach and on the river here (tidal river 5 miles wide)

one other option Dan is to do rip rap along the shore line, alot of homes here use a granite type rock and it looks really nice, it also works well in the hurricanes, better then the sea walls do.

8. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

Hey Rex
    What about Redi-Rock ? At 1500 lbs a piece, they should be a viable option.

9. D Felix

I guess my concern is setting the base for any type of wall.

We don't have any raging rivers or oceans to deal with here in our part of Indiana.:) Just some lakes, the one in question stays at a pretty constant level...

So, going back to my original question, and refining it a bit, is how do you set a base for a seawall on a body of water that does not have an annual drawdown?

Dan

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty sure the only acceptable way would be to build a coffer dam.