Building shop today

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by meets1, Dec 12, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Today, 40 degree's out, about 10 inches of snow left and we started digging all our footings today. I am building a 66 x 90 x 16 building. At least get the footings in and be able to build this winter.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Im sure it will be nice to have it finished in time for summer.

3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

who are you getting your materials through. I called a company today, strat-o-span buildings, to get a quote on a 60x100x14. Getting quotes for steel and wood. I'm guessing that if you're digging footings your going with steel frame.

4. spot

spot LawnSite Member

back in 1990 i went to the greatlakes school of log building and helped put up a log cabin ( 16 X 20 ) in -40 degree weather. dropped to - 75 at night. now that was cold!!!

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Reasoning for footings is the city is coded that way. Need frost free footings be it steel or wood framed. No pole building. I am going wood frame building. 2 x 6 x 16 side walls. I did price steel but materials were higher and labor was slighly higher.

6. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to fit a couple 21" mowers in a 6000 square foot shop.:)

Good luck with the project.

7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

the frost free footings add some cost to the project don't they. Here I am able to put just a floating slab, unless it is going to be a live in space. In my design I'm putting in a bunk room for some of the good deep south workers to stay in. Around that I have to have frost free footings.

8. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

I am looking to build an approx 30 x 30 shop in the next year, just curious what you are thinking yours will approx cost when done? I am in Omaha, probably not all that far from you. So supplies should be close to the same.

9. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

66x90x16. wow! What do you plan to put in there? Semi-tractors?

I am very jealous. My shop isn't even past the dreaming stage yet.

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Big shop. Do you have a digital camera?

I'm sure many would like to see the progrss.

I am building a shop soon, and will have a "photo jourlnasim" report for all. My shop will be around 2700 sq ft.