building sideboards on F150?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nattx, Sep 29, 2003.

1. nattx

nattx LawnSite Member
    from texas

Going to be building sideboards on a 99 F150 short bed using notched 2x4's for the uprights and 1x4 or 1x6's for the side slats. What would be a good way to fasten uprights to stake pockets? I will be using lag bolts and L brackets for frameing. Any helpful suggestions?

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

heres a pic for you, side boards are 1x8's. 2x4's were notched and fit very tight so there was no need to fasten to stake pockets. This method cost me around $40.00

dsc01305.jpg

3. Ground Master

Here's what a made for another truck. Uprights are 1.5" tube. This cost me around $130.00 to make myself.

dsc01304.jpg

4. Ground Master

Both racks are about 16 inches high which works out fairly well for empying grass catchers and tarps over the sides. If you go any higher it becomes a difficult reach-and I am 6'1".

The metal rack has square tubing in the corners. Eventually, I want to build an extension for leaf cleanups that can be installed and removed easily.

5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind the lumber will shrink, especially green treated stuff. My sides used to be hard to get on, the stakes barely fit in the pockets. Now they are loose.

I don't know what your stakepockets are like, but you might be able to put a pin through it. I put pins on four corners of my ezdumper stakepockets.

Another suggestion...I put a hinge on the front corners connecting the front to the side boards and replaced the original pin in the hinge with a pin that has a ring on top and a snap button on the bottom. It makes it easy to remove, and its very sturdy.

Here's a pic that shows how I did mine. Just some1x8 green treated attatched to some ripped down 2x4s.

[​IMG]

The hinge with removal pin

[​IMG]

One more

[​IMG]

Hopefully that gives you some ideas
    Ryan

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

0ryan0

thats a great setup.i was thinking about doing the same thing to my truck.where did you get those pins for the hinge??

also is that a 1500 or a 2500? looks awsome nice rig

7. nattx

nattx LawnSite Member
    from texas

Great suggestions, pictures say a thousand words. Had not thought about the height of the walls making it easier to dump over the rails. I will definetly have to use hinges in front. I was thinking of adding some hooks to hang ladders and other stuff from and would like to chain them up to the sideboards as a "theft deterent". I suppose will all the weight, I may not need to fasten the uprights to the stake pockets.

8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i bought the pins at lowes. Look in one of the hardware drawers. I had the grind the old pin out of the hinge.

The truck is a 2500. Thanks

Ryan

9. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your pic, Just made mine today. $21 to be exact, I went with 2x3's and 1x8 pine painted.

dsc01001.jpg

10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Side view

dsc00997.jpg