1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

building stone retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by work_it, Sep 4, 2003.

1. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who wants a stone retaining wall 43' in length. The problem is it's at the end of his driveway that drops off at a 30 degree slope. I know there's going to be a lot of work with a shovel, but my question is how to keep it from sinking into the ground. One idea that I have is to put down 2" of crushed lime stone, but am open for other ideas. Also need to know what most would charge for something like this? Some of the other factors are: 1) it will make (1) 90 degree bend to the left and (1) one 180 degree bend. 2) average is 4' in width 3) graduated wall- 1' in height at shallow point and 5' high at tallest point.

Any ideas?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have only one response

contractor license?
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you will need to pour a concrete footer for the wall.

unless you know what you are doing, pass on this one.

4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Hey GEO,

Wasn't it Clint Eastwood who also said:

"A man has got to know his limitations"

Wok-it - cAse in point
    5' of retainment can get heavy.
  5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sub it out !!
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a site that discusses stone walls.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sub it out sounds like the best idea. Can make a few $$$ without getting in over my head. What would most of you do? 5% finders fee or bid the job for slightly more than a contractor would charge?
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

How are we supposed to learn anything if we just sub it out? I would like to learn how to do some of this stuff to but whenever someone asks a question like this everyones response is always sub it out. Maybe he should sub it out but It would be nice If people could give a rough idea how to do it. When I get to the point of doing this kind of work I will have an expierenced person helping but at least I wouldnt be going into the project blind.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when you go into a project like this and you have to ask for information that is a bad sign. This is a high liability project that involves a retaining wall. If that retaining wall doesn't hold, you yourself could be in a big lawsuit if it does damage to someone or something
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

When you say stone. What kind of stone?

Wall rock, boulders, concrete wall systems?

5' is kinda high for certain materials and determines methods.

may want to terrace it at the highest area. This will add another planting area and add more interest and eye appeal to the job, in my opinion anyway, and is easier to build.