1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Building supply bins?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by deere615, Jul 7, 2014.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking to build some supply bins for mulch stone salt etc. at my shop. I am going to use 2x2x4 concrete block. But my question is what is the easiest cost efficient thing to do for the base. I was going to concrete but thats pricey. I think I am going to see what asphalt costs otherwise I might just leave it dirt for the mulch bins and gravel for the gravel bins. I will however have some asphalt for the salt bin.

Is there any other options out there That would be cheaper
  2. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Have you priced pouring concrete yourself? It doesnt have to look pretty
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. deere615

Ya thats true I could do it its like well over 100 a yard here I might price it out tho
  4. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

A gravel and pack it down
  5. deere615

Ya 2a limestone is my plan as of now it might change though.
  6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Asphalt millings
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Pour cement yourself but make sure that is where you want it, like forever. I have seen asphalt but with bigger loaders spin a tire, or heavy dump truck comes to unload, heat of the day, it seems to tear it up. We just figure that first load of rock etc is wasted to a point cuz its on the ground, we dig into etc. Cement is nice but think of cost to recoup that with rock/mulch etc. Salt bin yes, concrete. We actually spray our area down with linseed oil. Wash it out in the spring as I try hard not to have any on hand by spring, our concrete still looks good.
  8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you're looking for the cheap way out than probobly a few wasted yards of whatever material goes in each bin is your best bet.

I've heard of guys laying down a couple posts or cut up telephone poles in the ground to give your bucket something to ride on. Sounds like a good idea but I've never seen it in person.
  9. deere615

We ended up concrete the salt bin and 3 others. We did spray the salt bin also. Our other bins like mulch we didn't but I am looking at paving those bins and the rest of the lot this year