building the perfect transformer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Apr 17, 2010.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Thought I'd start a thread on what the perfect transformer looks and acts like. what features are gotta have, and wants ? we may have done this before, and I am sure folks will want to say MINE MINE- the one I use !

but let's stick to features and specs that make sense ( or not? ) in a trans you want to buy.

basics I think we all agree on, and most trans meet-

needs to hold voltage to less than 1 full volt drop from unloaded to loaded.
    easy to plug in photo-cell and digital timer
    plenty of room on each lug for 5-6 12 guage wires or more
    removable water resistant door with label
    nice 6-8 foot cord
    circuit breaker switches for each common
    multi tap
    UL listed for US and canada
    stainless cabinet

but I am open for arguments on the above.

things I'd like to see:

the overall trans can handle what it is rated at, period. I don't have to stop at 80%, 90%, but go all the way to 100% and the trans will still go 20 years.

you can put more than 300 watts on a single common if you choose but not overload the overall trans.

a longer cabinet, so around the lugs I have about 4 inches more underneath so I can actually get my hand in there to put wires in lugs without removing the bottom.

1/2 volt taps from 11 volts loaded to 16, and a seperate model that does the same but also takes 1 volt steps from 17 up to 22.

or even better- give me 8-9 taps that are each adjustable with a dimmer switch!

the ability to switch out the cord to a longer or shorter one like FX.

I have other ideas, but chime in guys !

2. sal rodriguez

sal rodriguez LawnSite Member

See above
    OK it needs to be 10 characters long

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I am not going to say that it is 'perfect' but a new, versatile, full featured transformer is on its way to market as we discuss this. The prototypes are at UL now and the manufacturer (a very well-respected name in power systems) is looking to a May 2010 launch. The transformer was developed by listening to a number of different contractors, specifier and LV lighting manufacturers. I was involved in this group and I have to say that the manufacturer did an awesome job in accommodating and incorporating our requests and needs.

See Below:

Sorry I can't yet release all of the specifications, cut sheets, etc. The Manufacturer wants to hold back until the products are ready to sell. I will ask again however and if they change their minds, will provide all the info.

4. sal rodriguez

BTW- The best outdoor lighting transformer hands down ever made is the original. Of course it's the Nightscaping transformer I'm talking about.
    Made in the USA by artisans :usflag:

I think the owner still builds the transformers himself that's how much pride he takes in the thing. He's something like 93 I think.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

You are quite funny at times... must have been the fresh squeezed OJ this morning. :laugh: Sure beats lemonade!

6. sal rodriguez

what's the difference anyway. Solar power and LED's are the wave of the near future.

I know of some guy whose lighting some road signs with that stuff. Transformers as we know them today are gonna be obsolete. I watch the Jetsons.

Anyone putting any kind of money into developing a transformer right now is a sucker.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

and of course, 1/2 volt taps are out there on the gambino unit. not sure if there are any others. but I have had to compromise on 1 volt taps. my 13 and 14 volt taps always seem to be too crowded. 1/2 volt taps would get more of my voltages closer to 11.1-11.7 as opposed to 10.8-11.8.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

I'm not sure that the UL listed Magnum Transformers are actually ready for sale yet. Check with Mike or Billy on that. I had heard that the UL listing had been acquired but that some changes were required to the units before the could carry the sticker. Might be taken care of by now, but you should ask first.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

The perfect transformer would look like the Unique H-Force with Mike Gambino's internal features!

10. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Good to see you back and posting. How is the new life treating you?