building trailer for my hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by crzymow, Nov 25, 2006.

1. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I'm looking to build a trailer for my hydroseeder, basically I just want to build a simple frame that has axles. I really dont want to use full axles, can i just weld the axle spindles to the frame?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

How big a hydroseeder do you own?
    I wouldnt recommend welding spindles to the frame, they will most likely break off from all the bounching and water sloshing inside the seeder. If your goal is to keep the seeder close to the ground, you can buy the torsion axles that can be welded or bolted to the frame. I have used trailer mounted hydroseeders and hate them. You just cant drag them up mountainous gravel driveways, cant turn them around in tight spaces, and they are a bear to try and back down a steep drive. And that was pulling a 600 gal Finn with a 3500 4x4 truck. Depending on the size of your machine, you are much better off placeing the seeder on the back of a truck and using a trailer to hual the supplies. I built a 6x10 dump trailer I use to hook behind my truck for hualing the supplies. I can hual 10 loads of materials to the job site and unhook from the trailer to do all the seeding. When I get done, I just hook back to the trailer and I am gone. No fighting steep roads, or turning in tight places, and greatly increases my turn around time from load to load. This also allows me to do jobs that those with trailer mounted machines have to pass on. Contractors also like my setup because they no longer have to hire dozers to pull me in and out of their properties.(saves them money) My thoughts when I built the trailer was that I could also set the hydroseeder on it if I needed to, but that situation hasnt ever occured, the truck setup is a much better deal. I now have the 600gal finn mounted on the back of a 2wd, 4500 Duramax and seldom even use my larger 1000 gal bowie that is also truck mounted. With the short turning radius of the Duramax, I can seed faster with the smaller machine than I can with the larger one.

3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Thanks for the input, but i dont really have the hills and such to deal with. most of my seeding has been in newer subdivisions, and the area I live in is pretty flat. Right now I have a Turfmaker 550 and I load it into my dumptruck to do my jobs. Id rather not tie up my dump with the seeder is all, and it would be nice to have it closer to the ground.