building your own trailers

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by eslawns, Jul 28, 2001.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with building enclosed trailers. Any help getting plans or tips would be great.

2. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Buy one it will turn out to be less trouble and you will have it quicker.

3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on a lot of factors such as your experience level when it comes to fabricating, work area available, access to materials/tools etc, you may well be better off to buy an enclosed trailer as TFL suggests.

Not tryin' to pour cold water on your idea eskals, it's just that I work in the welding trade and I've built myself a (non-enclosed) trailer, as well as worked on a lot of repair jobs on customer's trailers - so I know there's a lot more to it than meets the eye!

For example, unless you have a means to pick up & move the trailer being built, everything has to be done in position - meaning a lot of vertical & overhead welding. And unless you can build it all indoors, you'll need to use the stick (arc) welding process because MIG doesn't work well outdoors - wind dissipates the shielding gas causing porosity and other defects in the weld.

If you do have a place to work & still plan to build your own, I'd suggest fabbing it in subassemblies that are managable so you can move/flip them & do as much of your welding as possible flat. For example, the basic floor: Assemble it upside-down, tack braces in, start welding - Avoid starting in one corner & going to the other because that will make things warp out of shape: Skip around from section to section, weld some on the bottom, flip it, do some on the top, flip it back etc. THEN attach the running gear, making sure it is SQUARE! (Don't want your trailer "dog-tracking"). Do the sides & end the same way, built the subassembly first, weld it up, then attach to the floor.

Do as much welding as possible in the flat position - believe me, overhead/vertical can be a P.I.T.A.!