Built Like a TANK... NOT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Grass, Apr 16, 2005.

1. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

One of the reasons I like Walker mowers with the SD option, is that they are light on the yard, and light on the trailer. Mine is 10 years old, and is running great still, so I dont see why everyone thinks it needs to be 1500 lbs. and an inch thick solid steel. Same with a Toro T bar belt drive walk behind. I do mostly residential. If I were doing large overgrown fields, I would go with something else. My walker has the speed up kit and low pro tires, so I can mow on hills, and get close to 7 mph ground speed which is about as fast as I can mow anyway. thoughts?? are too many mowers just too heavy?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I've often wondered why people were buying huge machines that weigh upwards of 1600lbs. all that weight really stresses the lawn. I think for walkbehinds, 10 guage steel is fine. although, i really prefer 7 gauge for z's. your moving much faster on them and there is more of a chance of bending the deck. I think a mower over 1500lbs should be for brush clearing only.

3. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Ya know I've been thinking the same thing. I was using a homeowners lawn tractor last season & it probably weighed maybe 500lbs, and I could lift it up from the side barely. Regardless of changing mowing patterns, I still noticed lawn ware or slight tracking marks here & there. So like you say, how do lawns look after going over with something heavy. How much does your Walker weigh? What size are the lo-pro tires. I do some small and large residential and just ordered a 42"Scag Z cat that weighs about 860, plus me, puts it over 1000 lbs. Tires are tready at 23 x 9 1/2. I'm gettiong nervous about impact on some of my lawns.

4. David Grass

the Walker is about 670 but the deck puts it at about 950. I would expect the scag Z with deck would be more. Often the specs are for tractor, and the deck adds on to that.

5. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Walker makes excellent equipment for the right applications.

6. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

i was thinking of buying a exmark tt60" for the exact reason and get rid of my ztr. i see to many lawns with 1' wide marks from the compaction of the machines.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Anything thats weighs over a couple hundered pounds will leave impressions in a damp or wet lawn, nature of the beast. Even a w/b will leave impressions when mowing in wet conditions. The decks are built heavier do to being commercial, typically a LCC has employees and not just 1 or 2 guys using the same mower. If I spent 8k on a mower and had employees that need to get use to it (the mower) I would want a little more steel around important components. :dizzy:

8. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

I just my walker MT for the first time this weekend. It is as awesome machine. IMHO people get the big mowers to satisfy their egos. Also the Toro T bar is very forgiving on the hands, it is my back up mower. If your still squeezing the pistol grips you should get rid of it now. There is no excuse to ruin your future, especially with the technology we have today. Talk about overkill, have you seen the Hustlers, totally rediculous.

9. David Grass

Yes, I got the Hustler WB, and the deck will probably last 100 years, that WB weighs the same as my Walker! the good part of the Hustler is the deck will not come up going up steep hills, and the H bar is SO EASY ON THE HANDS. With my Walker with side discharge 52, and the Huslter with 54 H bar, I have no fatigue using either machine. I still love the Toro T bar Belt tho, mine is a 1988 and needs a new engine..... I may put one on it later this year.

10. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

They can replace a lot of the steel with aluminum. Motocross, mountain bikes and airplanes do. Mowers should too!