Buisness Clothing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mwalz, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Was talking to a guy who cuts lawns down in Alabama. He doesn't have many accounts but they are real big. Since I am newer to the game at starting a legit business, he was giving me some advice. Some of it really got my gears turning. He made the point that clothing is very important that to wear something like a polo shirt and khaki shorts. More specifically a shirt with a collar. It makes you appear more professional. Now mind you i sweat like a pig even inside if I'm warm. What do all you other guys wear? More specific shirts but just in general. There is something to be said about presenting yourself nice to either meet clients or when you go to cut their lawn. Or do some of you wear t-shirts with just maybe your logo and phone number on back?

2. KG26

KG26 LawnSite Member

Keep a set of C.M.W. Client meeting wear in your truck, this can be your shorts, and a polo or whatever you like. Keep a towel with you in the even if you are leaving a house you just cut and its mid maybe late spring, and someone calls for a quote. You can wipe down and change even if it is just your shirt you change and throw on some deodorant. What I did last summer and it held up well was using long sleeve thermals white in the summer months wasn't all that bad. What I'm thinking I'll do this season is keep the thermals, but also throw in some Dri fit long sleeve tees as well. I say long sleeve because they protect my arms against the sun.

3. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Moisture wicking polo's. Keep an extra clean one in the truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mwalz

I never even knew they made those. Might have to try it and see how it works for me

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Pick on the link in my signature. The shirt is Gildan DryBlend and the pants are Riggs by Wrangler. I sweat like a pig, too. I never wear shorts, as clippings and dirt don't blow off sweaty legs. When I fire my BP blower, while it's on high-idle and sitting on the ground, I blow off my entire body. Amazingly, debris does not stick to the pant legs. As mentioned, keep an extra change of clothing and a towel, in the truck.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I wear a 'performance sleeveless undershirt' under a cotton collared workshirt. The former wicks away the sweat where it is evaporated at the latter layer. No complaints in the heat dept.

I've also found a full hat w/ ear and neck protection is MUCH cooler than a visor or no hat at all. Covering up has its advantages even if it seems contrary.
    YMMV

7. mwalz

What I have come up with, is that I will get a couple polos from walmart for meeting clients, and have my name embroidered on by a friend of my moms, and I'm going to get 5 gray t-shirts from Vista print with a nice big phone number and my name on the back. Those will be used for when I'm riding around on my wb. Seems like that will work the best for me.