Buisness name?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jarrells74, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Jarrells74

Jarrells74 LawnSite Member

I was wondering where you can go to find out if a name is available. Is there a website I can visit? Thx

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

There is a "citizen's advocate" for city and county governments that will direct you to the proper dept for that info for your state. In the phone book under government info.

3. Jarrells74

Ok thx alot..

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Try www.switchboard.com its kind of like the yellow pages for the whole country. Not everyone is on it but it will be a start.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Are you going to incorporate? Not sure about your state, but in the state of Kansas you don't have to register your business name unless you incorporate.

MATT

6. Jarrells74

Matt,

Thx for the tip.. I am not going to incorporate so I will look into that.. That would be nice if I didn't have to register it.

7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

www.state.oh.us/sos

Click on the database function and do a business name search. Search it a bunch of different ways to be sure.

8. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

you might want to register the name anyway, just in case you decide to incorporate at a later time, and to keep anyone else from profiting from your reputation. Without registering the name anyone can come in behind you, after you get your business up and running, register the name before you and you will be the one out buying new business cards and explaining to your customers. Spend a few bucks now to save a lot of headache later, you never know today what your business will be like a few months/years down the road.