Bulk Amonium Sulfate (21-0-0)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, May 2, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm getting geared up for Step # 2 (weed n feed) with my PG Magnum. With the price of fert (& gas) going through the roof I'm thinking about using Bulk Amonuim Sulfate form my local Co-Op. The last time I loked at their prices it was a nice Savings. I realize the convenience isnt has nice compared to bag fert, however if I can save some money :cool2:

Does anyone use 21-0-0 ?
    Any pros or cons with it?

In very late Fall I may use 46-0-0 (urea) however that stuff would "melt" in our humidty

Thanks in advance!!!

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I won't run that shallow of a N blend simply b/c it requires handling so much more of the product.

As for dealing in bulk, that's what I've done the past couple years. I tell the local Ag Co-op what blend I need and they make it for me. Nice sales point, too...

3. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Whoopass.......

Would you mind indicating the blend of fert you would use this time of year, or PM me.
    The only other option I can think of is blending with urea to obtain a higher "N" but with the heat and humidity, that will turn into a nightmare

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm nearly all liquid right now and blend a 30-0-10 with Fe.

My custom blend was a 30-5-6 with 6% Fe.

57% - (46-0-0... urea)
    21% - (16-20-0... ammonium sulfate)
    10% - (0-0-60)
    12% - (a 50% A.I. Fe)

It is heavily Urea based, which wouldn't likely work - but you wanted to know, so there you go. :)