Bulk fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Dec 10, 2003.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I was wondering how many of you guys have bulk fuel tanks at your shop or home I know I can buy diesel off rd. for around 50 cents a gallon cheaper and gas runs me about a nickel cheaper than at the pumps when I purchase it. I have 2 -500 gal tanks Ones for diesel the others for gas and if I'm lucky to buy when prices are down I save a pretty good chunk of change.

2. I just have a separate credit card to buy fuel for the mowers. Then get the road tax credited at tax time.
    I just wish the credit card statement would print the number of gallons so I wouldn't have to keep all those paper receipts. Road tax is by the gallon, not a percentage of the purchase price.

Even if I had a tank at the shop I'd wind up buying fuel on the road occasionally anyway. Plus I'd worry about the tank getting water in it. Or even someone stealing fuel.

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I have one . It spoils ya don't it. :) I have always had gas at home. I need to shop around for a better distributor though. AG One where I get mine averages ten cents higher than the pump price. Who do you get your fuel from olderthandirt?
  4. olderthandirt

from here

I went through about 4 before I found a small town distubutor that sells under pump price. He owns a gas station not far from me and when he fills his tanks he swings by and tops me off.

David you don't have to worry much about water and contanements much. I put mine through 2 filters before it comes out and I dump a gallon of dry gas in once and ahwile.
    As far as stealing. Its as hard as stealing from a station, cut the lock, break into another building to turn on electric, and try to do this without getting eaten by the dogs.

Apparently not many have bulk tanks. But if you ever get one you would love it. Worth every penny, Its nice at the end of the day to pass up the local station and not have to wait in line to fill everything up.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have considered one, but don't go through enough gas to justify. I do have a 55 gallon I was going to put in the back of the truck and use this soley for equipment so that I could get the tax refund at the end of the year.
  6. i figure i save quite a bit, think how much you spend on drinks, chips and all the other junk you pick up. Never had any problems with water in fuel. a real convenience
  7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Have had a tank at the shop now for almost a year, very glad I bought it, it saves the crews from stopping during the day as much, everything is fueled in the morning before they get to the shop. Also less gas receipts to keep track of.:waving:
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I bet it would save a bundle in labor. When the guys fill up they stop and buy soda, candy and what ever else their hearts desire. Time at gas stations are wasted production time. I may check into one becasue of this thread.
  9. olderthandirt

from here

You can also save a bundle on the actual cost of gas/diesel. If you buy it when prices are down and they go up by say 20 cents gal it saves you $200 on 1000 gal. And you would be surprised at how fast 1000 gal. go.

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We opted for the tank in the truck, and don't know what we'd do without it. It holds almost 90 gallons, and has a filter, pumps 15 gal per minute. I just fill it up on Sunday and Wednesday nights, and we're good to go, saves a lot of time and my back from not having to use cans. Our original tank was an L-shape 125 gal white metal, back in July my truck caught fire due to an electrical short. Since the tank was full-less vapors, it did not explode. I feel a lot safer about having one now, the current one we have is flat aluminum, so we dont have to paint it or worry about rust & it is square and shorter so I can see over it better.