Bulk Gas? Pump on property?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cuttin-to-the-Max, May 3, 2011.

1. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah im pricing it out Now. The pump would be electric so I would just set it up to where its on a wireless switch...Just click it on and the pump comes on also its behind the fence. But Next what i would have to worry about it the guys using the gas in their personal trucks/cars........I Think 500 Gallons would be good for me between 7 trucks and 12 mowers. Not including the handhelds.... It would have to get filled up ALOT in the winter though. But i guess i could always add a separate tanks

And i hear when you move you either tell the next owner about it... and since its already up to code you can leave it or just dig it up and sell it!

2. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Been doing this for the last 5 years works out great for us.

3. ghunter502

ghunter502 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

you know what happens when you assume. Yes we do have one!

4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 10x16 concrete pad which sits a 550 gal. hi-way diesel 300 gallon no lead gas and my 500 gallon l.p. tank.. The law here is no containment required under 1100 gallons of storage.. Im not saving alot on the fuel, maybe a dime/gallon, but I never wait in line and no BS with help in the restroom for 15 min.. Yeah I know 550 and 500 and 300 are 1350 gal. Well if you know what l.p. gas is.... it really doesnt pool up when u have a breach.

My set-up is in an alley behind the shop, with a key switch.. The above stated facts are true about ethanol, it draws moisture and doesnt store well..

As for hauling fuel yourself? Well usually you go through a local jobber if you're buying bulk fuel.. They have trucks one less thing to f!ck with..

5. tjjn06

tjjn06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Try your local coop. Most of them will rent you the tank for free, maintain it, and fill it when you need it done. Also if your buying off road fuel (should for the mowers), it is usually much cheaper.

6. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

This might be a stupid question but what is the difference from regular and off road gas/ diesel???

Also we are in the process of Pricing this whole thing out. As you said above This company i spoke to today will drop a tank off, maintain it, and fill if for a low one time price as long as they are filling the gas. :)

7. tjjn06

tjjn06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

8. jherety

jherety LawnSite Member

Around here (KY) off-road fuel has a nice red color...or it did the last time I bought any.. It also comes with heavy fines if you're caught with it in your vehicle on federal/state/county roads.

On an interesting side note, saw a news article where the Feds are considering getting away from a fuel tax and implementing taxation based upon the number of miles you drive. With fuel efficiency increasing (and to some extent, electric cars) revenue from fuel tax is down compared to what it has been in the past. Got to make up the money somehow.

Wes
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Right, and you predicted the stock market crash so you didn't buy any gasoline until it was well below $2, too.