Bulk Mailings

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by opher, Feb 20, 2007.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

I'm starting today looking into bulk mailings. It is not going to be as easy as I thought :dizzy:
    Start-up Permit $320.00
    Mailing list ???
    Annual fee from USPS $160.00
    .26cents postage for 5000=$1300.00
    This is adding up too fast!
    Thats as far as I got before I decided to post this question.
    Has anyone done this before?
    Is it worth it?
    Basically what I had in mind is targeting 2 small towns and 7 large developments to mail out post cards. Plus 100 commercial Accts.
    Looks like my door hangers will be going out instead.:confused:
    Any input will greatly be appreciated

Thanks,
    Opher

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like doorhangers better

3. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

I doesn't cost .26 to mail postcards. You need to go through a mailing service. They get bulk rates anyways. I think I paid like .22 per piece last year.

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

4.25"x6" postcard postage stamps are .19 at uspo

5. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going through a local postage provider. They ship at $0.21 a piece. They take your address list and address them for you and mail them for you. All you do is drop off the 3000 cards or whatever and an Excel file with the addresses. It is about $100 more in labor so for lower quantities it ends up to be about 0.24/card anyway. BUT I don't have to print, peel and stick 3000+ labels and stamps!!

Look in your phonebook for some postage providers.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I looked at 48hourprint.com, their price is basicly double what their printing cost is plus postage. For 1000 their normal price is 150, its 299 for mailing service which is printing them, figuring the list out, labeling them and droping them at the post office, plus postage. For 1000 4x6 I'm looking at $515 with them. I want to go with a small targeted mailing of 1000 only, to the higher class homes in the area.

7. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

ZOIKES!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: thats a bit more spendy then I thought too

8. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

4.25 x 6 Postcards cost .24 cents not .19 unless you know something I dont. If so please inform.

Thanks

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I met with a gentlemen today that sells flier inserts that come weekly with the local grocery store ads. These inserts are mailed from our local major newspaper. They do the typeset, print, and mail for 3.5 cents per flier. I just need to see if the numbers work. So, you might want to check into the papers sales options.

10. lisaestipona

lisaestipona LawnSite Member

Dear Opher,

When it comes to marketing, there are two books that I believe are the key to your success: The Purple Cow and Permssion Marketing. Both books are written by Seth Godin and the main points they talk about are 1) The criticality of being innovative and unique 2) The fact that "mass marketing" is out, and "permission marketing" (which is marketing to a very select few customers) is totally "in", and 3) The 5-stage life cycle of a customer.

After I read these novels, we stopped mass mailing/fliering completely. Instead, we changed our marketing strategy significantly and narrowed down to a very specific strategy. For example, 1) Every month, we send out specific mailers to 50 of the most recent escrow closings in targeted zip codes for that month 2) If we do flier, we will only flier maybe six streets on a given day (once a week) and only if the street is adjacent to a current customer's home 3) The majority of our marketing, promotions, and communications goes to our existing customers. Word of mouth is key, so we spend lots of time and effort turning our current customers into "loyal customers."