1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bulk Purchasing for Lawnsite Members???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Sep 15, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

In another thread we were talking about prices of blowers. We all get different deals based on where we live, how well we know our local rep., volume our company buys, etc. For instance, in that thread above, Odin paid $550 for a blower I could get for $475.00 if I bought them in bulk.

So that got me thinking; what if we all teamed up and bought some of our equipment in bulk? Of course, the biggest deciding factor might be shipping costs. Certain items (blowers, trimmers, sprayers, etc.) are not too expensive to ship, while other items (mowers, trailers, etc.) are obviously way too big to ship. But on those items that are affordable to ship, what if we all teamed up and purchased them in bulk?

For instance, if I had 10 guys who were willing to buy that new RedMax 8000 blower, I could get probably get them for $450.00. Assuming a shipping price of $25.00, we'd each pay only $475.00 for that blower - a savings of $75.00. We could probably buy lots of things this way via lawnsite. Heck, we could probably even create a forum for just this sort of thing. Someone starts a thread entitled, "I need a solo backpack sprayer." If another 10 people reply saying they want one or two of them also, then finally someone replies and says, "I can get those for $45 plus $15 shipping for everyone." Then another person replies with, "I can get those for $40 plus $13 shipping." etc. Pretty soon, we're all getting stuff at big discounts because we're using our collective buying power to negotiate better deals.

What are your thoughts on this, guys?
    dvmcmrhp52 likes this.
  2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Thats a real good idea Jim. Just like vehicles Im sure equipment prices vary across the country...... Even the local dealerships would probably be happy to do this......I dosent take much effort for them to order 10 blowers from red max, take delivery and just slap a new shipping label on the box and out the door
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

A great idea, but I don't think it would work. Unless you get the monies up front, I think someone (S) would get screwed. Also, I know for a fact that if you purchase either a dozen or 15 pieces of equipment at once from redmax, you get a discounted rate. Average unit cost say $300 get for $250 or so... that is the way I will plan on doing it.

If you can get it to fly, I'd definately be in. Good luck. Aloso, I do know many dealers will not do warranty work on units they don't sell, or will take their time working on them.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

It's a great idea jim,except..............payment.
    Trying to get payment always becomes an issue after people say "ya, I want one too...." Then they decide 2 days later that a "different" (cheaper) model will do.

It may work but I've seen this many times with other things.............
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, whoever was buying for the group would definitely have to get all the monies collected up front. If I were buying for a bunch of you guys, that's the only way I'd do it.

And then there's the obvious issue of trust. Not sure I'd want to send off $475.00 to some guy who just joined lawnsite last week. But this sort of logistical stuff could be worked out.
  6. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

This is a great idea. I used to work for a large company that use to purchase HVAC and Water Heaters in bulk. They used the manufacturer's supply chain to boot. So your idea is good but if you can get the suppliers to see your or this group as say Lawnsite instead of 10 different contractors discounts will follow. We just need a leader to iron out the details!

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could we possibly be able to do something straight through the company themselves? If we could all pay for instance say echo, or stihl, and get enought people together to order 10 or more they might give us the discount. Don't know though, those company's get pretty big and it would take a while to talk to the right person.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I an happy to give my dealer $75 more for items. He has helped me with a lot of problems including help with items that companies don't want to cover under warranty. I don't buy from Home depot to save a few bucks for same reason. It is hard to walk in and ask for help on something you got elsewhere.
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Heres an Idea

Why couldent Lawnsite negotiate with the various manufacturers and try to get a special rate for members?. Then you pay the dealers or whoever direct..
  10. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i think the payment thing could be done very easily.... say for instance we use paypal... whoever is in charge says ok i have redmax8000 blower for 475.00 you have until Month/XX/year to make payment..... once payment is received in advance then the total number of units paid for could be ordered accordingly...... the only loop hole to this is that whoever is doing the order would need to give a written reply to the payers that they will get their merchandise in X amount of days so that no one is wondering where thier stuff is and if they will really get it or not...... of course im sure someelese could modify this somewhat to make it work better buts it just my .02