1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by texas, Feb 19, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

where do yall get bulk fert, mulch, seed, and topsoil? where do you put it and how much room will it take up? just wonderin:rolleyes:
  2. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

LOL. Pretty broad question
  3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

fertilizer from my nearest Lesco service center...
    Bulk materials: from Hardwood mulch from a organic recycling yard...
    Topsoil from a hardscaping/Landscape materials store
    mulchs and stone from another landscaper that has a yard with everything in it...
    Umm how much space... Well Bulk materials come by the cu.yd

fertilizer I buy enough to put down on my props... so I store a minimal amount
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Fertilizer and seed from JD Landscapes, Lesco, and local farm supply store
    Mulch and pine straw from local dealer

I try to get what I need plus a little extra. Keeps storage down to a minimum.
  5. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I by my mulch bulk they bring it to me in a tractor and trailer usually runs about $400.00 a load I built some rock walls to hold the mulch in place.
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Fert, Pesticides, & seed from ProSource One.
    Mulch from a local supplier in bulk mulch ($10 per yard) & animal bedding.
    Topsoil, I got a friend that runs a trucking service, whenever I need a new load of really good black topsoil he delivers $125 per load (17 tons).

I own an acreage, my shop is about 30 yards away from the house in the upper end of the pasture, I store topsoil (1 load), crushed lime (1 load), masons sand (1/2 load), pea gravel (1 load), some pavers and wall block, and twice ground hardwood mulch (twenty-one yards). Room for plenty more but this is more for convenience than anything else, this way I don't have to bust but, or send somebody to pick up small amounts of material before the suppliers close for the day. I use my dump trailer for mulch, crushed lime, pea gravel & masons sand. The quarry I use is only about four miles away, mulch supplier about five miles away.