Bull Rider question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ple_1969, Aug 15, 2004.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

I have a question for the pro's out there. I have a 2004 48" Exmark Turf Tracer HP that I'm seriously thinking about selling/trading in for a ZTR. I'm just tired of walking. It was suggested that I look at a sulky, especially the Bull Rider. I guess this is last attempt on keeping it.

Any comments on it? Is this a good unit? Will the caster wheel divot in the ground being that I'm 250 lbs? Also being that I'm that weight, will the front end of the mower wheelie when its pulling me?

Thanks for your help!

Pete

2. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I have a 52in. turf tracer and I have used it with a two wheel velke and a castoring velke and I didn't like the way that it handled with the castoring velke. Normally when mowing with the standard two wheel velke across a hill it will hold a good line but with the castoring velke the mower would try to turn uphill because of the castors. Also when doing a quick turn, because of the castors the mower would try to keep spinning even after I released the handles. I like the 2 wheel velke and would highly recommend it and it makes the mower a joy to use. Some of the guys like the bullrider but I never really liked mine. Hope this helps.

3. precisionlawninc

precisionlawninc LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 2002 36" turf tracer hydro that I bought a Bullrider for last spring. I weigh about 200 lbs. The mower did not handle well, it was difficult to mow a straight line, and the mower would bind up when trying to use reverse. In addition the mower would try to "pop a wheelie" if I was not careful when putting in forward. Fortunately the company that sold me the Bullrider took it back & refunded my money.

I spoke with Trimmer Trap to confirm that I was not doing anything wrong. The only theory we came up with was that based on my weight and the weight of the mower, the Bullrider was not functional. Your mower is heavier than mine, but you are also heavier than I am. I don't know if you would experience the same problem. I would reccomend that you check with the dealer before purchasing to insure satisfaction or acceptance of the Bullrider back.

4. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

You might check out the Proslide. I've got one on a 36 TTHP. I added the Exmark weight kit for the front. Anything with wheels will eventually rut the lawn. I used to use a velke. I've just about got the ruts smoothed out with the proslide. It's especially good when the ground is wet - it really smooths out the rough spots.
    In addition when you reverse all you have to do is step off of the Proslide - it automatically retracts.
    I weigh 190 & my PS drags me around just fine.

5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Bullrider for me has been nothing but great.
    Problems with it: everynow and then the castored tires get caught up on something and it goes flat maybe about 3-5 times in a year... you just have to pay attention and step off when needed(around sidewalks...) Mower doesn't do wheelies because the thin tires on my 32" will spin rather than track the ground and cause a wheelie.
    On hills it does seem to turn the mower but thats why you can change it to trailering mode.... 3 pins
    Other than that my lil 32" is a ztr... the lil castors don't divot just i only weigh 170-185 but you'll love this peice of equip once u get the hang of it... being that u have such a bigger machine than mine i bet it'll be easier to use than my 32"
    Also do you have ECS??? the way the deadman is postioned it beats between your index and thumb but nothing a nice pair of gloves can't solve...

6. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

doesn't sound that great to me.

7. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I think settled it! Anyone want to by a 48" TTHP with 32 hours?

Pete

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

This is the best answer IMO, plus the thing instantly gets out of the way when not needed or wanted, like small sections of soft turf and loading on the trailer. Also leaves a awesome stripe.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used the Bullrider, X2, and the Proslide. Proslide wins by a mile.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

TTT.
    I have the exact same mower...and just changed to the BR from Velke x2...
    And I agree 110% I'm goign to beg my dealer to take the BullRider back Monday
    :angry: :realmad: .