1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bull Rider Sulkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

How many people use this type of sulky? Are the reliable and easy to use? I am about to buy one and I like the fact that you can reverse and get the full use out of your hydro. Any comments on pro's/con's would be appreciated.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BullRider for my Exmark 36" hydro Viking. I learned it will NOT work in caster mode, but will work fine in trailer mode. In caster mode, my machine is not heavy enough, not a wide enough footprint, to make the combination work. The sulky will control the mower and maintaining directional control is a real challenge. Since the sulky in caster mode is rigidly attached with respect to the mower (both moving in the horizontal plane as a unit), the operator has no leverage to put against the handles. Pushing side-to-side on the handles to maintain direction means nothing because your anchor point is on the sulky frame. In trailer mode, this is not so. The operator has leverage against the ground.

My BullRider was bought after a ProSlide wouldn't work. The reasons for a ProSlide and a BR in caster mode not working are exactly the same. Power was not the issue, rather traction.

If you wish to see some images of my setup, PM me your e-mail address and I will send out a few pictures. I am unable to post images on LS, but can send them via e-mail.
  3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have one for my 52" Toro and I love it. The only time I ever have an issue with it is when the grass is wet. It will not move well in caster mode then.

I have had a Trimmer Trap and the Bull Rider on this machine and highly recommend the Bull if the machine is large enough like Roger stated above.
  4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

Mine always worked perfectly in caster mode. It was hooked up to my 61" Ferris though, and that is a huge machine with a wide wheelbase and wide tires. Perfect combination. Never tried it on any of my smaller machines.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Never tried the bullrider but got the Tru Trak with my new Toro 48" T-bar w/turbo force deck so it should be heavy enough. I'm looking forward to using the Tru Trak sulky and the T-bar stearing all my other mowers are pistol grip with standard 2 wheel trail sulky.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. I Plan to use it on a 48 hydro so I think it will be alright. Hope so anyways!