bull rider sulky?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JRS Landscaping, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

anyone have one?
    how does it work
    i plan on puttin it on a exmark turf tracer 48 (hydro)
    any advice would be great
    -justin
    [​IMG]

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have one that I pull behind an Exmark Viking, 36" hydro. I have used it for about five seasons, and has been the best sulky for my machine.

This is after a one-wheeled Velke, a ProSlide, and then finally the BR.

I use it in trailer mode. Caster mode does not work for my machine, but will undoubtedly work for your mower (wider footprint, heavier). The two casters track nicely behind the drive wheels of the mower and do not leave extra tracking (reason why I scrapped the one-wheeled Velke).

It is a very solid unit, nothing has ever broken, wheel bearings have lasted without failure. I used it heavily until part way through the 2006 season when I bought a ZTR. Most of the properties I used the Ex/BR are now mowed with the ZTR.

If you wish to see some pics, PM me with your e-mail address (unable to post pics on LS, but can e-mail them).

3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

It is the heaviest duty most professional unit on the market. Bull Riders are now all we use.

4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and love it! Would recomend it to anyone!

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I was given one just like in the photo. I think it is probably great on a hydro, but on my 48 belt wb have to work the grips a lot more often to keep it in a straight line.

It turns great however, and keeps you further away from obstacles and low hanging branches. It leaves a little more to trim on an inside corner or curve.

I suspect that any bump or ground pounding that nudges the Bullrider to the right will make the belts slip just slightly and point the front of the mower slightly to the left, and vice versa. With the more positive and slip-free hydro drives I don't think it would be an issue at all.

Went back to my Jungle Jim, much less squeezing to hold the belt wb on a straight line. Put the Bullrider on the shelf for a hydro in the future.

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Should have added mine is in free swivel all the time, casters cannot be locked.

7. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

What is the cost of this unit? I have a 48" hydro i need a sulky for. But for two or three hundred dollars...i'd rather get the free exercise.

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone ever made a castering sulky? I made a trailering one a few years back. I have some caster assemblies with the yokes and the arms off an old walkbehind I can use.

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Im going to attempt to make a bullrider. I don't think it will be that hard. Does anyone know what size the tires are?

Cheers
    Jeff