Bullrider for a belt drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Jul 13, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I've got a great deal for a Metro 48 to use for my hill mower at the course. It's a belt drive, and I was wondering if a castering sulky like a Bullrider would work for a belt drive, since you can't make a zero turn if you don't want to tear the turf. For sulkies I've only had expirience with a Proslide on my old Proline, that thing was great, but don't know if a belt drive with a 200 pound guy on a proslide would make it up the hill.

What do you guys think?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My caster conversion on my sulky has worked out great- much better than I thought. Only a couple places I could ride before do I have to walk now and those are areas that the mower is sliding downhill when walking anyway!!!!! It works just as well as a trailing sulky on most hills once you're used to it. It would probably do ok on a belt drive, but doubtful it would do well on hills on a belt drive. But since it's the BullRider, you can just switch to trailing mode for the hills :)

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

But what I mean is, because I might get a belt drive and I can't zero turn, is it worth having a castering type sulky?

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Bull rider makes 2 models: the expensive one can be used either

in castering or trailer mode. The less expensive trailering only.

Demoed it in Louisville. Ed

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well, I don't know the real answer to that question... but probably not worth it in all honesty. If I had no instant, power reverse and no true zero turning it would make little to no difference if I had casters or not. Casters are nice because you don't jacknife doing a true zero turn or backing up, neither of which will really affect you. Get a cheaper trailing model like a Jungle Jim's Jungle Wheels or a Velke X2. I've used both, the main difference is the Velke X2 has smaller tires but you can reverse and it doesn't jacknife, instead it folds back under it's tongue hitch when you back up. It also folds up tighter when you tie it to the handlebars. The Jungle Wheels can jacknife and don't fold as tight, but they do have larger tires for a smoother ride and less ground pressure and it's a tad easier for the mower to pull on rough ground.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

You can pull the pin on the bull rider and convert it to trailer mode in seconds. You have to pull the pins on the wheels and flip the top dohickies over too.

I've never run it behind a belt drive, but I like that the controls stay directly in front of me rather having to twist on every turn.

The castor mode does affect the handling of the machine and means you're squeezing the grips more to stay straight on uneven terrain...I think it might be a PITA with a belt drive.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you were sharp enough to catch the post on single and double wheel sulkys, guys were talking about how the two wheelers wiggle back and forth making it a bit uncomfortable to put up with. This is true and its why I modified my old jungle wheels until I got the Bullrider.
    Now, the bullrider doesn't shake, has a turning limiter so it can't ----, and roll limiter so you can't over turn it if you hit a hole with one wheel. IOW, they've taken all the minuses out the two wheeler. Also, the bullrider is built like a tank and mounting is much wider than other brands to stablize the tracking. Last, when do go to a Hydro, you won't need buy another velky later. The choice is yours, but these are good points are worth another look.......
    Pete

8. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

any links to bullriders?wanna see it.

9. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member