Bum Tiawan Marlex Ells

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my clients excitedly called me the other day after turning on his water system from its winter rest. Nearly every head in every zone had broken off, and two areas in the lawn were bubbling. Of course, the first thing thought was that the system wasn't blown out correctly, but upon arriving on the site I found that practically every 1/2" Marlex street ell had totally cracked in two. The two bubbling areas in the lawn were just two more heads on broken Marlex ells.

Last year, I replaced a few of these Marlex ells at a neighbor's home - that was in the middle of the summer. He also said that a neighbor behind him also has 20 of these broken Marlex ells. All of these Marlex elbows were made in Tiawan, and installed by another landscape company. Who do you blame?

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to more repairs in that housing area.

2007_0325Image0003.JPG

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I bet those are Spears?

We had a bum batch that looked just like that and cracked in the same place.

Perhaps too much air pressure with the winterization.

3. Critical Care

45 to 50 psi on winterization...

Also doubt that these would break in the middle of the summer as a result of winterization.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've used thousands of Spears and Lasco Marlex 90s and never had them break like your picture indicates. Never had one break during warm weather installs since the Marlex warms up and is easy to thread, whether onto another Marlex 90 or SCH 80 nipple. I have had a couple of failures during cold weather installs but this was usually due to someone overtightening them. The split then showed up on the female end, not at the male neck like in your picture.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I echo that, Marlex/schmarlex, overtightening is the cause, when I first
    started winterizing, I didn't know the 125 towbehind pressure could be
    adjusted & injected 100+ psi, melted a couple of m.i.p.s, & launched
    skyward a few Stream-Rotors, but sure broke no Marlex ells.

6. Critical Care

I should say that no other location other than this particular subdivision have I run into this problem of widespread Marlex destruction.

What I often run into are cross threaded Marlex connectors. That's to be expected, and I'd think that overtightening would also be an obvious and instant failure. I've had some paper lightweight types that would break just trying to remove them, and others that have been chopped up by shovels and edgers.

FWIW, the broken Marlex ells in the picture were installed about two years ago.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The moles finally have battery-powered sawsalls!

8. PurpHaze

Maybe closer than you think. Maybe the Mole People (OK kiddies... get out your 1950s sci fi movies) travel through the lava tubes and reach up and snap them??? :laugh:

9. Critical Care

The real mole people are the homeless people living in the New York City subway system, however subterranean mutant mole people living in the lava tubes out here surely may answer all of the chewed up Marlex connectors that I've dug up.

FWIW, the first sci fi movie that I remember that spooked me as a kid was Caltiki - The Immortal Monster. Bet no one remembers that one!

200px-Mole_People.jpg

10. PurpHaze

You're good. :)

Notice Hugh Beaumont's name on the poster?