1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bump Feed vs Rapid loader

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for starters I am starting with an SRM-10 for medium duty trimming with a regular feed head. I am also going for a pas 260 with either a rapid load or a bump feed. I was recommended to get the rapid loader since he said I would probably enjoy it more. He said there better in the sense that if the line breaks off really short it wont go back in, all your do is pull out the tail and put in the new piece. What do you people prefer? It wont be used as much as the srm 210 but will still be used? Also what size line is preferred by everyone and why?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Jeff, Find a dealer that sells Shindaiwa and get your self a speed feed head it's going to cost you a little over $30.00 but it is worth it. You don't have to rip the head apart to replace the trimmer line. Check out Shindaiwa's web site and you'll see what I mean about the speed feed head.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get a bump head -rapid loaders are for homeowners.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

bump head.
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i hate rapid loader...in the time it takes to shut the trimmer down, pull the old line out, bend the new line in half, feed it into the hole barely big enough in the fist place...i could have gotten 50 yards down the fence line...but then again when i weed-wack i do heavy stuff (1/4 inch diameter weeds, tall grass, etc...) they might work better on short grass.
  6. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Bump Head.. Saves SO much time!
  7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Have a Redmax 2600 with bump head love it!!!
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am a bump head guy but I am testing this Shindaiwa speed feed head and I like so far. No rapid load, they are really really bad idea....you have to carry pliers and little strips of cord???
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

ed, I was at an expo at a dealership when the speed feed was released and heard a story of guys getting three digit hour #'s and not double digit hour #'s out of the speed feed head vs a standard bump. This info / story came from a Shidaiwa rep. I've only had mine for a year and I love it compared to what comes standard on the Echos I also like the fact that it has a flat bottom and no bump knob. I'm not sure what I'll do when I buy my new Stihl trimmer I may try the Stihl head out for a few hours and if I don't like it I'll buy another speed feed head.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim a chain- link fence, and see how long it takes with a rapid loader! you'll be hating life real quick!