Bump Head or Spead Load Trimmer ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Synergy Ground, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Just wondering what most of you guys use on a dailey basis. The "Bump Head Trimmer" or "Speed Loader". I just cant see that the speed loaders save anytime, and I really dont think the string is as tough. What about you??:usflag:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Bump head. The "Speed Loader" heads would cost more time. IMO.

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Echo quick loader. Have used it for several years now. Very quick and easy.

4. turfcaster

turfcaster LawnSite Member

If speed loaders are them heads where you just put 2 big fat pieces of string in them,they are a total pita.

Most stock bump-heads work great,except for RedMax,unless they have changed in the past few years.

5. Pitbull05

Pitbull05 LawnSite Member

Bump head with extra heads is the way to go. I just watched a LCO using an Echo putting string in a speed loader and I can change heads faster than he added string.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Those speed loader guys should be sued....those are definitely crap. Dirt gets in the mechanism and then when the cord breaks you can't get it out.

7. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa speed feed (the best imo)

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't speak for the other types, however this one works really good.

Load head in about a minute.

Goes like this, run line out from Jungle Jims line feeder thing, go to the back of trailer, about 20 feet line. Go back to the Jungle Jims line feeder thing, use chopper handle thing to cut line.

Line up arrows on back of Speed Feed head, insert line, even it up, ratchet line into head.

Whats not to like about that? Quick and easy, never had a problem with dirt, no need to disassemble head.

If something breaks, parts are at the dealer. That Jungle Jims thing, I think is called a spool mate, I'm not sure as the guys are not back yet, and I ain't gonna call to find out for sure.

But the Jungle Jim spool mate and Speed Feed are a great combo.

Requires NO concentration or tools. Very good thing to have on a hot Summer days....
    So simple I can even do it.:laugh:

9. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

the speedloaders wear out pretty quick compared to the bump head styles. plus its a pain in the ass carrying all the precut lines with u>

10. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'll second that. When I bought my new trimmer last year it came with a quick loader so I said "what the heck, I'll give it a try". The thing is definitely easy to load and it seems quite durable, but lets face it, unless your trimming open areas with no hard obstacles, the line wears out. On some accounts with a lot of fencing or stone borders, etc. I might have to put new lines in three or four times! Plus theres always that one time when you leave the string on the trailer and get all the way to the back of the property when you lose the string and have to walk all the way...You get the picture. Bottom line is, next trimmer or if this head ever dies, it gets replaced with a good old fashioned bump head!