Bumpy lawn due to moles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nfarr, Oct 4, 2006.

1. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has acquired an incredible amount of moles in his yard. The property is approximately 2 acres. The front 2/3 is full of moles. He has rolled the yard in the past, however, as to be expected it did not solve the problem. Does anyone have a solution that does work?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Talprid is the only thing proven to kill moles. Very expensive stuff but it sure as hell works. Do a google search for "Talprid" or search on ebay. Guarunteed kill!

3. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

If this guy has an acre of tunnels then it's going to be a real pain whether you use traps or poison because you will need to roll the yard again. That is unless you or the customer plan on collapsing each tunnel the old fashioned way (with your feet). Then come back the next day to determine which tunnels are active. The trick with moles is just accurate identification of active tunnels. After that traps or poison will both work fine. I prefer the spear traps because they are cheap, effective (if used properly), and will last almost forever.

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Definitely use Talpirid. As far as cost goes, how much is no more moles worth?? It is a good amount of work to use, but it works all the time, every time. As long as you use it correctly, that is. Should run around $60 a box.

5. thecompletehome

thecompletehome LawnSite Member

I definitely agree to use Talpirid. You need to make sure to wear gloves when placing the Talpirid in the runs so you do not transfer your scent onto the bait (worms).

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Talpirid is the best. I've also done well with harpoon traps but some folks object to their liability. Traps also require a level of skill not acquired by just reading the directions on the box. Practice makes perfect.

7. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I'd bet there is a tree line on the back or sides of that property. If ya walk that tree line you will find a tunnel/tunnels leading into the lawn. That tunnel or tunnels is/are always the best places to place your traps/baits. I caught one alive one time and was able to keep him alive for about a week. You ought to hear a mole eat a earthworm. REAL noisy.

8. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be rude, but does anyone actually bother using the Search function before beginning threads? There must be at least a dozen threads already out there about this subject....

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The search function sucks...rarely does it pull the threads wanted...Now if someone posts a question and you would like to perform a 'search' then post the accompanying link...feel free...:drinkup:

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Where is the search function? Been searching for it. How do you use it?