1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bumpy Lawn Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mandklawncare, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mandklawncare

mandklawncare LawnSite Member

We live in Michigan and over the winter the lawns can get quite lumpy from the frost. We have encountered 2 EXTREMELY lumpy lawns (I'm thinking it's other than the frost, like plows shifting the surface of the lawn over the season but there's no sign on scalping). Anyway, not sure what to do to resolve these problems, rolling doesn't seem like it would help with these large of lawns but I was thinking if we saturated it enough to soften the soil then roll... And OF COURSE aerate after but no clue, I've never dealt with a lumpy lawn. Please advise!!! Thanks, Kim
  2. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it needs topdressing.
  3. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple like that. It feels like they lets cows roam through it for the winter. I was trying to figure out how to smooth it out myself.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have a variety of lawn rollers to use on frost heaving. The answers from the guys in the south won't help you.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I get a couple calls about this every spring. I don't do lawn rolling because it is unpredictable and I really don't have the time for the return. There is actually a guy here that has taken a very small asphalt roller and has a trailer for it. He advertises rolling with this thing. I have watched him use it a few times but I don't know how effective it is. Then you have the compacted turf to deal with after. I imagine that the soil condition has to be just right as we have heavy clay and wet soil will tank the machine and too dry an it just rolls over with no effect. I just tell people that I have no solution for it.